5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is oil in intercooler normal? Also turbo whistleing more than it used to.

Synergy26

Reaction score
I noticed a small amount of oil dripping at the compressor side of the turbo and I can also see it at the connections to the intercooler also. The turbo has been high pitch whistling more often lately also, ear piercing at times. Is this normal? 2020 Ram ecodiesel with only 7500 miles. Should I be worried, is the oil in the charge area s normal? Is the high pitch normal for colder weather this time of year? TIA

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oil part is not abnormal. But just at low of miles to see that already, idk if I like that.
High pitch snail noise, have to hear it. If you have lost performance with noise started look to be a boost leak. With the miles(over all adaptations learned) and cooler weather now. Maybe just more efficient and not so heat soaked.

Synergy26

Reaction score
Oil part is not abnormal. But just at low of miles to see that already, idk if I like that.
High pitch snail noise, have to hear it. If you have lost performance with noise started look to be a boost leak. With the miles(over all adaptations learned) and cooler weather now. Maybe just more efficient and not so heat soaked.
Doesn't that mean the turbo seal is leaking though?

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I noticed a small amount of oil dripping at the compressor side of the turbo and I can also see it at the connections to the intercooler also. The turbo has been high pitch whistling more often lately also, ear piercing at times. Is this normal? 2020 Ram ecodiesel with only 7500 miles. Should I be worried, is the oil in the charge area s normal? Is the high pitch normal for colder weather this time of year? TIA
I myself like to post issues with my truck to see if others encountered similar things, but if I were you I would call your dealer first thing Monday morning,
I can’t hear the turbo, I have wringing in the ears, too many years in trades. My Rebel is my first turbo diesel and have not noticed any leakage.
I have two turbo 660 Arctic Cat snow machines and had small amounts of oil seeping in the intake piping, on a trip a clamp holding the pipe from the turbo going to the inter cooler had fallen off and lost all turbo power, I saw a bit of oil in the piping and was concerned but it is apparently normal.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
mine whistles about 1500-1800 rpm. The turbos are oil cooled and run very hot, oil leaking is by design to some extent. especially under a heavy load where the exhaust gases are very hot ~ 1000C, 1800F

gorilla57

Reaction score
And another thing to think about, the PCV system feeds into the intake system, just before the turbo. So all the oil vapor from the motor is fed INTO to the turbo and through the intercooler. The Cummins motor has a huge filter under the valve cover that catches the oil vapor very well and only a small amount of oil vapor actually makes it to the turbo. These 3.0 motors could use a filter or catch can.......

jasnak

Reaction score
Do your think your bearing in your turbo is failing with a high pitch scream? I know this is a different application but my isx Cummins in my highway truck started to make a higher whining noise and the turbo bearing was shot and turbo failed. Oil leak from your oil line that goes to the bearing on turbo? I have 10000 kms on my ecodiesel and it’s -28c here now and no noise different then summer time on the turbo.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've heard of that CAC hose being replaced on several 2020 trucks. I'd have them check that. A leak and noise are definite symptoms of that issue.

Synergy26

Reaction score
Is it at the outlet or where the 2 halves come together
Dripping at the baffle I think you would call it.
Is it at the outlet or where the 2 halves come together
Dripping from here and I can see oil at the outlet of the intercooler now but not much. I'm just wondering if there should be none or is this part of the EGR and it many it gets worse if I tow? Not my picture.

Attachments

• s327835346111805596_p26_i1_w912~3.jpeg
    s327835346111805596_p26_i1_w912~3.jpeg
    63.4 KB · Views: 31

Users who are viewing this thread