5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it safe to store mounted tires outdoors?

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can I store my set of wheels/tires outdoors if I wrap them? Cover them? Should I deflate them at all?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It should be fine, I mean cars sit outside in all weather conditions, with the added stress of a vehicle's weight sitting on those tires. A set of wheel mounted tires sitting outside but not installed on a vehicle would be like a vacation to those tires.

Tires are going to age anyways, but with a little care, you can get more life out of them. Stacking them covered is a good idea, mainly for UV protection to the wheels and tire sidewalls, keeps the dirt off of them so easier clean-up. Deflating slightly below normal to allow expansion will prevent cracking.

Last edited:

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It should be fine, I mean cars sit outside in all weather conditions, with the added stress of a vehicle's weight sitting on those tires. A set of wheel mounted tires sitting outside but not installed on a vehicle would be like a vacation to those tires.

Tires are going to age anyways, but with a little care, you can get more life out of them. Stacking them covered is a good idea, mainly for UV protection to the wheels and tire sidewalls, keeps the dirt off of them so easier clean-up. Deflating slightly below normal to allow expansion will prevent cracking.
Thank you

Jako

Reaction score
Can I store my set of wheels/tires outdoors if I wrap them? Cover them? Should I deflate them at all?
I purchased extra large black bags and got as much air out as possible for a set for the Ram. Internet information said to store tires with rims on their side and to seal them. Mechanic told me storing tires without rims on their side can create problems with mounting and getting the tire to seal on the rim. No personal experience on that aspect. I put on a 17 yr old original Michelin on my 2001 as a temporary measure that was stored in a cellar. The cellar has the windows covered over and the temperature is 70 + -. Tire looked good and had no issues.
Hell, I just let go of my 1985 Toyota Corolla that sat in the backyard since 2006 and 2 of the tires held air. I think manufacturers say 5 years.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My factory 20s are stacked outside right now. I probably should throw a tarp over them to keep the weather off.

Jako

Reaction score
My factory 20s are stacked outside right now. I probably should throw a tarp over them to keep the weather off.
Tarp is good for UV, but sealing them is the way to go from what I gathered from an internet search. I ended up buying extra large black garbage bags to keep them in. The wheels are about 33" by almost 12" from what I can remember.

Rsorrell2

Reaction score
Heck I put a cover on my spare.

hopefully I will never need to use it, but if/when I do (I know I will get dirty) that it will be cleaner.

now if the wife is driving then she will just call road side assistance

moparleo51

Reaction score
safe to store outside yes, and no. it is safe to store but it might bring attention to a thief needing some wheels..:p

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Inside is always better, garage next and outside last but still acceptable. 2nd on covering with large garbage bags and I always suck the air out with a vacuum and zip tie closed. Store on the rims stacked. I run a dedicated set of winter tires so I always have 4 in storage and this works well.

Users who are viewing this thread