5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it safe to extend safety chains?

SBrentnall

Reaction score
I have a lightweight horse trailer that can be pulled by an SUV. The safety chains are the perfect length for my SUV, but they're a little too short for a truck.

I know it's possible to buy extenders, but I've heard some people say that extenders are not safe. I don't want to replace the chains because although I'll now be towing with a truck, friends who may also use the trailer will be using SUVs and I don't want to make the chains too long for them.

Anyone have any thoughts on whether extenders are safe? Any other suggestions for accommodating both types of vehicle?

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There’s nothing to worry about. Just make sure you are using a quick link that is rated for the same capacity as the safety chain.
If you were using the chain for overhead hoisting (like on a tower crane), there would be other things to consider. But for this, it’s perfectly fine.

HandyCruiser

Reaction score
I understand this is a private vehicle, but the right answer for OSHA (they don't regulate private vehicles for private use) would be to either obtain longer safety chains from the manufacturer or get written guidance from the manufacturer. If a spec exist it should likely give the amount of slack the chain should have and not a specified length since attachment points will vary vehicle to vehicle and hitch to hitch as you are experiencing now.

Users who are viewing this thread