5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it alright that I just put Premium fuel in my 2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn?

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If I was having that issue on my truck I would purchase a product like SeaFoam Motor Treatment to clean the injectors and intake valves and chamber deposits.

Ethanol based fuels are notorious for creating deposits and varnish deposits, due to the fact that ethanol is hygroscopic, as I had mentioned in the previous post.

If it wasn't a brand new vehicle that would be my course of action, as I had good luck with it on older vehicles. But I should not be having to worry about that with an engine that just barely rolled over 7K miles and 8 months old.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If it wasn't a brand new vehicle that would be my course of action, as I had good luck with it on older vehicles. But I should not be having to worry about that with an engine that just barely rolled over 7K miles and 8 months old.

Totally agree and would never give the dealership any excuses to deny warranty on it.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If I was having that issue on my truck I would purchase a product like SeaFoam Motor Treatment to clean the injectors and intake valves and chamber deposits.

Ethanol based fuels are notorious for creating deposits and varnish deposits, due to the fact that ethanol is hygroscopic, as I had mentioned in the previous post.

So how do you use this stuff? Do you dump it down the gas tank like some other cleaners, or ... ?

Skater

Reaction score

Is SeaFoam preferable to Lucas or STP engine treatments for injector cleaning and carbon? I’m not any sort of mechanic, so I’m just curious which one to use. I have always used STP or Lucas at about 25,000 mile intervals. Suggestions? Thanks.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is SeaFoam preferable to Lucas or STP engine treatments for injector cleaning and carbon? I’m not any sort of mechanic, so I’m just curious which one to use. I have always used STP or Lucas at about 25,000 mile intervals. Suggestions? Thanks.
I would not say it is preferable. Lucas Ethanol Fuel Conditioner is a good solution as well.

I tend to use SeaFoam to address issues and then I use Lucas products as a preventive additive periodically or when I notice my MPG's starting to drop when my driving conditions have not changed.

itsjustme

Reaction score
My other vehicle takes premium and I had a mind lapse. I always use mid-grade, although it’s very first take (from dealership) was regular.
As noted below, higher octane is just more costly - never a danger of any kind. To establish some basics "octane" no longer measures the octane proportion, but rather is an arbitrary standardized scale to measure knock resistance of gasoline, and knock is both power robbing and potentially damaging. Most premium/high octane also contains more additives such as cleansers, so there is a 2ndary benefit as well. Now, as to value from money and whether its a waste - i was getting some knocking under heavy load in my **new** truck (filled up by the dealer). I put in 50% 89 and 50% 93 and voila, no knock. So 89 is marginal and the knock sensors are not quite doing their job, the slackers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread