5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is dealer rust proofing worth it?

2021REBEL

Reaction score
I am just looking to get your opinions on if the dealership lifetime warranty rust proofing is worth the money or not?

Thanks in advance for your input !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

depends on how long you're planning on keeping your vehicle and where you live at. I live in the rust belt (Ohio) and am planning on keeping my truck for at least 10-15years. So for me it was a no brainer. If it's a lease I would say hell no. lol

depends on how long you're planning on keeping your vehicle and where you live at. I live in the rust belt (Ohio) and am planning on keeping my truck for at least 10-15years. So for me it was a no brainer. If it's a lease I would say hell no. lol

I am planning on keeping it for as long as I can. I live in Ontario where we have some pretty harsh winters. Did you have just the under sprayed or did you do the proofing where they do the inside of the doors and all of the other spots prone to rust?

I am planning on keeping it for as long as I can. I live in Ontario where we have some pretty harsh winters. Did you have just the under sprayed or did you do the proofing where they do the inside of the doors and all of the other spots prone to rust?

I had them do the whole truck plus the interior protection so if I have any issues with my seats it's covered.

I had them do the whole truck plus the interior protection so if I have any issues with my seats it's covered.

What do you mean by protection on the seats?

Think of it like Scotchguard but except for your couch it's for auto interiors

I didn't realize it was lifetime warranty, I just purchased a new 1500 2 weeks ago. They wanted $1500 to do it, I told them no to save some money. I plan on keeping my truck a long time.
They told me when I bring it in for service the could do it then if I change my mind.
I think I will.
Tom

I am just looking to get your opinions on if the dealership lifetime warranty rust proofing is worth the money or not?

Thanks in advance for your input !

I do like undercoating as a rust proofing measure. If you have little to no interest rate loan and they are comparable to local shops in your area, go for it.

Keep in mind that the "lifetime warranty" only kicks in when the rust eats all the way through the metal. You can have them bondo a little corner at the rear wheel well that rots out while the rest of the truck is a rusted mess.

I didn't realize it was lifetime warranty, I just purchased a new 1500 2 weeks ago. They wanted $1500 to do it, I told them no to save some money. I plan on keeping my truck a long time.
They told me when I bring it in for service the could do it then if I change my mind.
I think I will.
Tom
Unfortunately you most likely lost any leverage to negotiate the price of it. It may make more sense to go with a 3rd party rustproofing at this point.

I have always figured out my absolute "out the door" price and for me that includes the extended warranty along with the rustproofing & undercoating and negotiate the total cost with the salesperson & manager. I don't wait to get the the finance manager to then have to haggle with them as well.

They said if I bring it back before winter they will honor the original price that was in the out the door pricing.
Tom

I bought the package of rust proofing and paint protection on my 2014 and would not do it again. I never had a reason in 6 years to use the paint protection and when my doors started to rust they wouldn't even consider trying to file a claim until it was a complete penetration through the metal as mountain whiskey stated. My opionion as a northerner with lots of salty roads is that you're better off putting that money in a truck account that earns a little interest and spending it on a good weekly ca wash with underbody/rocker panel spray.

The dealer doesn't do rust proofing -- they outsource it to whatever local company they have a relationship with -- so ask them who does their undercoating and look at any reviews you can find.

Mine was sprayed and 3 months later when I performed the 1st oil change, it was still wet and wiped off .. I had them send it back to another company and they re-completed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back