5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Irony

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Admin - can we close this thread. It is a complaint thread that is just looking to reply with more sourness. Not needed. This forum is 99.9% great people who are there for each other, giving great advice, sharing ideas, helping with research, and complimenting setups. This is not in the spirit, and actually ruins my read. And I'm no Nannie, but I'll Bust Your A$$ like your Poppy! :alien:

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I see no need to close the thread. Just observations and comparisons. No biggie.

The op's tongue weight is too high, for sure. Maybe the Mercedes liked it but the Ram doesn't. There has to be a way to adjust the cargo in the trailer to drop the tongue weight.

I'm pulling about the same weight with my limited and the suspension is all good.
20190309_071605.jpg 20190309_071552.jpg

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I see no need to close the thread. Just observations and comparisons. No biggie.

The op's tongue weight is too high, for sure. Maybe the Mercedes liked it but the Ram doesn't. There has to be a way to adjust the cargo in the trailer to drop the tongue weight.

I'm pulling about the same weight with my limited and the suspension is all good.
View attachment 20242 View attachment 20243

Nice. Good to see a Limited towing a bigger weight. What's the total towing weight? What do you have the suspension setting at?

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nice. Good to see a Limited towing a bigger weight. What's the total towing weight? What do you have the suspension setting at?
I haven't put it on a scale but between the empty trailer weight and the Camaro in it the total should be about 7,100 lbs. It'll get a 1,200 mile tow to Michigan in May.

The nice thing about car trailers is I can adjust/balance the load so that I'm pulling the weight not carrying it. I get the tongue weight as light as I can and still not get the trailer wagging me. I drove semis for a living for a while so I have a pretty good feel for trailer towing.

The one thing I do is to not be in a hurry. Trying to make time pulling a trailer can only get you in trouble. Hard on the driver and the equipment.

Last edited:

mjamesgt

Reaction score
Im guessing the merc tongue weight is so low because its likely a class III hitch installed. Probably has nothing to do with the suspension or frame, which the germans usually over engineer. The marketing for the ram (and all american trucks) should be illegal in my opinion. The tow ratings and payloads advertised are on a small fraction of the trucks on the roads. The dealers and sales people further perpetuate the bad information. I'm not sure if you have taken your Ram and trailer to the cat scales, but it may be beneficial to take it up there and verify you are not over any axle ratings.

Han Ridge

Reaction score
You would be happier with your Ram if you would have gotten the standard coil suspension and added aftermarket air bags, they don’t talk back when you take a then beyond their specified limits.

Users who are viewing this thread