5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Intermittent Hemi 5.7 (etorque) tick

Mopar57

Reaction score
I have a 2021 RAM 1500 with just over 20k miles. Hemi 5.7 etorque. A couple weeks ago (during some cold weather) the truck suddenly started making loud ticking noises while at temperature. It sounded kinda like a sewing machine in that the ticking frequency revved up (and down) with the engine RPMs. I got home, checked oil level which was fine, and turned the truck on and off a few times--noise was still present. So I left the truck parked in my driveway until I could get an appointment at the dealer about 1.5 weeks later. The truck made the noise again on the way to the dealer. However, the dealer calls me after 2 days of driving it around and they claim they haven't heard any unusual sounds. They said the exhaust manifold and bolts check out--no issue there. I request they keep it a 3rd day and try again. Still nothing. I pick the truck up and it indeed sounds fine...until I get home and turn the truck on and off. The noise shows right back up. I've been driving it several days since and sometimes it makes the noise--sometimes it does not. I'll try to post a couple YouTube videos...in one of the videos I took you can actually hear the ticking sound go away around the 2nd engine rev. When it does make the noise it has usually been while idling after reaching temps. Or restarting the truck after reaching operating temp. I'm not sure my next steps at this point. Has anyone else had similar intermittent ticking ("sewing machine") sound issue?

dork17

Reaction score
Your video can't be viewed, it says it is set to private.

Mopar57

Reaction score
Sorry about that. Hopefully can view the videos now.

Very recent oil change at 20,180 miles. I was at about 20,660 miles when I took these videos.

However, soon after my original post, the ticking sound stopped appearing altogether.

Last edited:

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Unfortunately that definitely sounds like hemi tick (the lifter failure kind).

If that were my truck I'd ask the dealer if I could run some different oil. On the other forum Redline 5w-30 has completely cleared up the tick on many trucks.

If they say no to redline (it doesn't pay for the MS certification so technically it's not approved though Redline claims it meets or exceeds the test), then ask if you can run 12oz of Biotech Lubeguard in the dealer oil. LG is basically a heavy dose of Moly which is what Redline has a lot of as well. Some have had good luck adding LG to dealer oil and having it quiet it down. Not as successful as RL has been in the past though.

Another excellent oil is HPL Super Car or Premium Plus, the PP does meet/exceed the MS certification but again not paid to get it certified. These are very expensive oils, but they are best in class. HPL is newer to the Ram scene and we don't have as much history with it on how it affects hemi tick.

Also show them this video as proof, have it logged under the warranty etc.

Snekpete

Reaction score
Sorry about that. Hopefully can view the videos now.

Very recent oil change at 20,180 miles. I was at about 20,660 miles when I took these videos.

However, soon after my original post, the ticking sound stopped appearing altogether.

The ticking is one half crank rpm indicating something with the valve train. It could be a lifter. It could be a cracked exhaust manifold. It is easy to diagnose a cracked exhaust manifold. On a cold and windless morning start it up cold with the hood open and smell for exhaust, nasty non-catalytic exhaust.

Mopar57

Reaction score
I've done my own oil changes since day one and have used 5W-20 Mobil1 Truck & SUV Advanced Full Synthetic with WIX filters except this last oil change I used an STP filter. I am certainly open to trying different oil especially if the tick shows back up. If you don't mind me asking, why Redline 5W-30 and not 5W-20? Does thicker oil at operating temps seem to help these Hemi lifters?

While the dealer had my truck they claimed to never hear the ticking. They did tell me they checked out the exhaust manifold and bolts and that those were fine.

I appreciate the advice, I'll call the dealer back now that I have these videos to send them for documentation. But my truck hasn't made any noise in over a week so I'm not sure what gives. It has been warmer weather though.

Last edited:

silver billet

Reaction score
The ticking is one half crank rpm indicating something with the valve train. It could be a lifter. It could be a cracked exhaust manifold. It is easy to diagnose a cracked exhaust manifold. On a cold and windless morning start it up cold with the hood open and smell for exhaust, nasty non-catalytic exhaust.

I don't think there is enough air or raspiness in that tone to be exhaust, and it also disappeared instantly in the second video whereas exhaust fades out with temperature increase. Could be wrong.

silver billet

Reaction score
I've done my own oil changes since day one and have used 5W-20 Mobil1 Truck & SUV Advanced Full Synthetic with WIX filters except this last oil change I used an STP filter. I am certainly open to trying different oil especially if the tick shows back up. If you don't mind me asking, why Redline 5W-30 and not 5W-20? Does thicker oil at operating temps seem to help these Hemi lifters?

5w-30 has more reports of success but you could definitely try the 5w-20 as well.

Users who are viewing this thread