5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Intermittent Grinding in the Gas Pedal

SkeeterJackson

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Bighorn Night Edition with the 5.7 etorque motor. I have about 4K miles on it and have had it for a little less than 2 months.

I have noticed a grinding in the gas pedal at random times. It is very quick and short and it seems to be very random, I dont think I could replicate it for the dealer. The 'grinding' feels a lot like ABS when engaged. Has anyone else had this issue? Is it a problem?

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I sometimes feel a vibration in the gas pedal when I'm driving shortly after startup on hot days when the a/c is pumping. Seems to go away after a few minutes.

cervelo15

Reaction score
I’ve felt this grinding 3 times since I had the truck, with just under 6k miles now. Mine has happened under moderate acceleration. But very random and only happens for a few seconds, if that. You and I have identical match in truck. I wasnt too worried about the eTorque system when I first got it, but after reading a lot of stuff on this forum, it’s on my radar as something suspect.

SkeeterJackson

Reaction score
I’ve felt this grinding 3 times since I had the truck, with just under 6k miles now. Mine has happened under moderate acceleration. But very random and only happens for a few seconds, if that. You and I have identical match in truck. I wasnt too worried about the eTorque system when I first got it, but after reading a lot of stuff on this forum, it’s on my radar as something suspect.
I still have this issue, I think the pedal may be grinding in mine when it is shifting into another gear. It happens so infrequently that I cant pay attention to it, so idk. Because it is so sporadic, I think calling the dealer is kind of a waste of time, but now that I know someone else is having the same issue, maybe it is something common that they know about. I will give them a call and see what they say. I'll keep you posted.

I was pretty excited about the etorque when I got the truck. I didnt specifically ask for it or anything, it was just the only night edition I could find so I bought it. But after a few months driving and trailering things, I dont really see the benefit. Seems like something that just complicates things that will make repairs more expensive down the road. Also, I believe we have a lithium battery (I could be wrong on that) but if that goes out, I would think that would be about a grand to replace. I think I would opt out of the etorque if I were to do it again.

cervelo15

Reaction score
I still have this issue, I think the pedal may be grinding in mine when it is shifting into another gear. It happens so infrequently that I cant pay attention to it, so idk. Because it is so sporadic, I think calling the dealer is kind of a waste of time, but now that I know someone else is having the same issue, maybe it is something common that they know about. I will give them a call and see what they say. I'll keep you posted.

I was pretty excited about the etorque when I got the truck. I didnt specifically ask for it or anything, it was just the only night edition I could find so I bought it. But after a few months driving and trailering things, I dont really see the benefit. Seems like something that just complicates things that will make repairs more expensive down the road. Also, I believe we have a lithium battery (I could be wrong on that) but if that goes out, I would think that would be about a grand to replace. I think I would opt out of the etorque if I were to do it again.
I was in the same boat with the ET. I was focusing more on the night package I wanted. My wife's car has the start/stop and I wasn't really a fan of it, but it hasnt given us any issues in the 2 years since she got it. I've acclimated to the ET by now, just not 100% trusting of it yet since I have never owned a vehicle like this. I agree, I think the replacement for it down the road might be pricey. But I have heard in other threads there is an 8yr/80k warranty on the Etorque system, which is longer than I plan to have the truck. So at least in that time if anything with the ET goes, it should be covered under warranty. Challenge is finding a dealer who won't hassle you about it.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Along with the normal 12v battery in the engine bay, there is a 48v lithium-ion battery behind the rear seat (driver side). They can and do go out (my daughter had hers replaced 3 weeks after she bought it new), but so far there doesn't seem to have been a lot of failures reported.

SkeeterJackson

Reaction score
Along with the normal 12v battery in the engine bay, there is a 48v lithium-ion battery behind the rear seat (driver side). They can and do go out (my daughter had hers replaced 3 weeks after she bought it new), but so far there doesn't seem to have been a lot of failures reported.
That is good to know. Now I have to go out to my truck at lunch and look for the lithium battery.

JZ787

Reaction score
I also have this grinding feeling in my gas pedal. It usually happens within a few minutes of starting and driving the truck. I do not have etorque. It happens so quick and is so random I have no idea what it could be. Seems to only happen a few times a week, not every drive. Could it be some sort of adjustment the truck is making?

ccm2001

Reaction score
I am also experiencing this issue, im at 15K Kilometeres 2020 bighorn 5.7L NO etorque
it happens when it shifts from 1st to 2nd it vibrates my pedal for a second.
to be honest it feels like the rear end gear shudder.
ive read post about low differential gear fluid from the factory, could that be the cause?

R4M

Reaction score
I am experiencing what the OP describes. The ABS description you mentioned is the same type of pedal feel I experience, only to a lesser extent (its a very vague feeling). Occurs randomly, sometimes on the highway after 2 hours of driving. There would be no way for me to replicate it for the dealer so I'm just making a mental note in case something breaks later.

2021 Ram 1500 Lonestar 5.7 non-etorque 2wd

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I also get a weird pulse/vibration in the gas pedal at random times. It's almost like the sound the ABS makes when you first start up and drive and it self-checks, but you can feel it in the pedal. Happens randomly and is quick enough that there's no way to try to listen for any further evidence of the source.

Nurd

Reaction score
Im having similar/ identical issue. I have 19 ram laramie. Im second owner of. When I bought truck it has 2inch spacer installed. I will take spacer off, but i belive the grinding gas pedal issue will not be resolved. Dose anyone have any suggestions.

SkeeterJackson

Reaction score
I am the OP, so I will provide a non-update update. I had this problem since I bought the truck new. I now have 30k miles on the truck and I haven't noticed the grinding/abs like vibration for awhile now. That could be because I have quit paying attention to it, or because it is gone. Either way, my truck is still running great and I haven't had any issues related to this whatsoever.

4ckb

Reaction score
Anyone have an update on this issue? I have a '21 Bighorn (not Night Edition) with 12K miles. Was out on a family trip last weekend and had this occur for the first time. My wife even said she felt it, although very lightly, from the passenger seat....perhaps a vibration through the floor? Very strange and random, as it only occurred twice in 100 miles. I just noticed it once coming back from a 2 mile round trip to a local bank, also. If anyone has an update on the issue, it would be appreciated. Like others have said, there's probably no way I could replicate this to the dealer.

mwoods269

Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread