5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Intermittent Charging/Electrical Issue with Dash Lights and Engine Shut off

jwelch11

Reaction score
I have a 2019 with the V6 and etorque. Just around 20k miles. Since I have owned it, have had intermittent issues with dash lights coming on, truck will shut off going down the road unexpectedly. Typically have to pop it in neutral if at highway speeds and hit the start button to restart. Dangerous to say the least. When this happens, the windshield wipers will move very slowly or move a few inches at a time. Sometimes they will do it when I shut the truck off which signals there will likely be issues in the next few key cycles. Other times, I have to hit the start button twice to start or sometimes it won't shut off correctly and go into accessory mode. Only way to get it to shut off is to open the door which activates the ECU and then it will shut off. Other times I actually have to go as far as disconnecting battery. Truck will actually keep running for a few minutes with the 12V battery positive and negative disconnected.

Driving down the road yesterday at 40 mph, watched batter voltage drop into the 6 - 7 volt range before spiking back up to the 13 - 14 range. Would do this at every stop. But did not actually shut down. When this happens, get a laundry list of codes including lost communication with various modules, battery voltage and high circuit codes. Codes and dash lights usually go away after a few more ignition cycles and I continue to drive it. Can typically drive the truck 15 - 20 miles at a time without issue. When driving 30+ miles, I can expect issues. Have replaced BSG, BCM, Battery sensor, multiple batteries, ABS module, and the list goes on. All updates to modules completed in past month. Even had ECU sent out to raise voltage curve, but that did not work. At a loss as to what's next. Any other experiences with something similar?

JRW323

Reaction score
With all these issues, having the dealer purchase the vehicle back isn't a bad idea to review.

Users who are viewing this thread