5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interior Rust?

NewRam92

Reaction score
A search of these forums turned back a few threads on interior rust, but I haven't found one on rusted D-rings on the ram boxes. I bought this used 2019 Limited last week and didn't notice the D-rings had rust on them until last night. It's weird that only a few D-rings have rust on them, and others don't. It's almost like 1 of them wasn't finished and the other was? Am I crazy here, or should I try and have the dealer I bought from replace them?

1609173418969.png

Also, anyone with a replacement part ID would be greatly appreciated! I tried searching online but no luck.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The in-floor storage boxes are sometimes called “Ram Bins”, not RamBoxes. I’ve seen no rust on these tie-downs in 2+ years, so I’d definitely take it in.

Does anything else look rusty? If not, this seems like a fluke. If so, I’d be worried about prolonged water exposure.

NewRam92

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply! Ram bins, sorry I'm new to this haha. There are other items below the seats are showing signs of rust, but it's nothing I wouldn't expect from components that you wouldn't see. For instance, the bolts under the rear seat when flipped up, show lots of rust:
1609174117043.png

It's just weird to me that they would choose to have some items galvanized/coated and other items not. I don't mind replacing the bolts myself, it's just unusual to me to see something like this

50Front

Reaction score
Something doesn't seem right. Mine has no rust in those places after 2 1/2 years. I bet either your truck had/has a leak or it was in a flood. Look at the rear window surround for cracks and the headliner in the rear for stains.

NewRam92

Reaction score
Alright now you guys are starting to scare me. This truck was a lease and came with a super clean carfax from a trusted dealer. I just went out and looked, the headliner is black so it's tough to see any staining even with the flashlight, but there doesn't appear to be any water staining. The rear window surround does have a seam/crack in it, but it's so clean that it's tough to tell if it's a seam from the factory or a crack. I drove it in a downpour this weekend and didn't notice any water, but then again I wasn't looking for it. For reference, there are other exposed metal parts under the seats that are also rusting (including under driver/passenger seat), see below:
1609183202788.png

My thought is that these bolts and other metal pieces are rusting purely from condensation. If they're not galvanized or coated, they will rust over time. The rear window seam/crack gives me concern though...

Vilas15

Reaction score
Alright now you guys are starting to scare me. This truck was a lease and came with a super clean carfax from a trusted dealer. I just went out and looked, the headliner is black so it's tough to see any staining even with the flashlight, but there doesn't appear to be any water staining. The rear window surround does have a seam/crack in it, but it's so clean that it's tough to tell if it's a seam from the factory or a crack. I drove it in a downpour this weekend and didn't notice any water, but then again I wasn't looking for it. For reference, there are other exposed metal parts under the seats that are also rusting (including under driver/passenger seat), see below:
View attachment 77833

My thought is that these bolts and other metal pieces are rusting purely from condensation. If they're not galvanized or coated, they will rust over time. The rear window seam/crack gives me concern though...
The rear window frame is a crack. Theres a huge thread about it here. Dealer can replace the rear window under warranty.

NewRam92

Reaction score
I see that thread now, I'll be contacting the dealer shortly. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread