5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interior Lights not working

rcortez05

Reaction score
I was having issues with the map lights and the tailgate button not working on overhead panel. However the rear window still worked. Took panel off under steering wheel and checked the F33, F31, and F30 fuses. All were good, but just plugging them back in seem to fix the issue. Had some loose fuses under the hood as well. So hopefully that will help anyone having same issues.
I have the same issues. What fuse under the hood you check?

rcortez05

Reaction score
I just noticed today my map lights are not working and tailgate open button aren't working and my auto slide is working. I check the fuses like you did and no luck. I guess I'll take it in to the dealer. Thanks for the post.
Did you fixed your problem? What was the issue?
Thanks

scampcat

Reaction score
Did you fixed your problem? What was the issue?
Thanks
I found in my 2019 that if I removed the fuse (F33 - you might consider pulling the others too - F30+F31 - do it while the ignition is off) and left it out for a while then put it back in, it started working again. Seems like there might be an error state that occurs in the overhead unit that fails to reinitialize functionality after the unidentified error breaks it. The part is so smart it gets stuck on dumb situations. Seems like it needs to have a loss of access to power, including draining the residual power in its own internal capacitors before it “reboots” itself. The same can be done by removing the overhead unit and disconnecting the two cables from the vehicle, letting it sit for maybe 5 minutes, then plugging it in again. Beware of the obnoxious plastic lock pins in the forward section. Stupid design, and they break easily if you don’t know to push the assembly forward after pulling the back of the assembly away from the ceiling (after removing the screws in the sunglass holder). I found that the hard way. I can attach a picture if it helps someone avoid breaking the plastic clips. They're sneaky. Don’t force the front ones down. Push forward first so their little slide locks gets loose (2 of them), then it should pretty much fall out. Luckily, I don’t have to take it to the dealer to fix where they’ll see I had my finger in the cookie jar. I broke mine, but the sunglass holder screws do the same job redundantly, so no one is the wiser.

popstatwo

Reaction score
I found in my 2019 that if I removed the fuse (F33 - you might consider pulling the others too - F30+F31 - do it while the ignition is off) and left it out for a while then put it back in, it started working again. Seems like there might be an error state that occurs in the overhead unit that fails to reinitialize functionality after the unidentified error breaks it. The part is so smart it gets stuck on dumb situations. Seems like it needs to have a loss of access to power, including draining the residual power in its own internal capacitors before it “reboots” itself. The same can be done by removing the overhead unit and disconnecting the two cables from the vehicle, letting it sit for maybe 5 minutes, then plugging it in again. Beware of the obnoxious plastic lock pins in the forward section. Stupid design, and they break easily if you don’t know to push the assembly forward after pulling the back of the assembly away from the ceiling (after removing the screws in the sunglass holder). I found that the hard way. I can attach a picture if it helps someone avoid breaking the plastic clips. They're sneaky. Don’t force the front ones down. Push forward first so their little slide locks gets loose (2 of them), then it should pretty much fall out. Luckily, I don’t have to take it to the dealer to fix where they’ll see I had my finger in the cookie jar. I broke mine, but the sunglass holder screws do the same job redundantly, so no one is the wiser.

I removed F33 (red10) and F30 (Pink 30), ate some breakfast and put them back in and it worked. Finally. I had tried this before but I didn't wait. Maybe waiting is the key? Thanks

rcortez05

Reaction score
Thanks buddy. It really works.

rcortez05

Reaction score
I just noticed today my map lights are not working and tailgate open button aren't working and my auto slide is working. I check the fuses like you did and no luck. I guess I'll take it in to the dealer. Thanks for the post.
I found in my 2019 that if I removed the fuse (F33 - you might consider pulling the others too - F30+F31 - do it while the ignition is off) and left it out for a while then put it back in, it started working again. Seems like there might be an error state that occurs in the overhead unit that fails to reinitialize functionality after the unidentified error breaks it. The part is so smart it gets stuck on dumb situations. Seems like it needs to have a loss of access to power, including draining the residual power in its own internal capacitors before it “reboots” itself.

popstatwo

Reaction score
I found in my 2019 that if I removed the fuse (F33 - you might consider pulling the others too - F30+F31 - do it while the ignition is off) and left it out for a while then put it back in, it started working again. Seems like there might be an error state that occurs in the overhead unit that fails to reinitialize functionality after the unidentified error breaks it. The part is so smart it gets stuck on dumb situations. Seems like it needs to have a loss of access to power, including draining the residual power in its own internal capacitors before it “reboots” itself.
I want to add that I did this ^^^ and it initially worked but the lights went back to not working. What I had to do was take apart the console and take the switch that turns the light off/on/door open and take a look at the back connectors, I think it has 3 gold looking connectors. The issue with mine was that those connectors were not making contact with the board so I had to bend the connectors a little in order to make contact and since then I have had no issues. I hope that wasn't too confusing.

V8Spock

Reaction score
I had the same problem. Pulled F30, F31, F33 under the steering column. Cycled the ignition while they were out for good measure. Waited 5 minuets and reinstalled the fuses. It worked! Thanks!

raj005

Reaction score
I have a 2017 Big Horn and the interior lights used to come on when the doors were opened but have now quit. They still come on sometimes when I hit unlock, they still power on with the door opened and I manually turn them on (with the truck off), and once I get inside and turn the key they come on for a few seconds before fading out like they normally would when opening the door and then closing it. Would the fuse reset mentioned above do anything for this? It was a sporadic thing but now it seems like they never come on when I open the door. The dimmer switch is not turned down and the battery was recently replaced (problem happened both before and after the replacement), so I don't know what else to check.

Yabbo

Reaction score
I was having issues with the map lights and the tailgate button not working on overhead panel. However the rear window still worked. Took panel off under steering wheel and checked the F33, F31, and F30 fuses. All were good, but just plugging them back in seem to fix the issue. Had some loose fuses under the hood as well. So hopefully that will help anyone having same issues.
Can’t believe that worked, had to try it and wow. I don’t get why it worked but I’ll take the win!

Hooziss

Reaction score
My dome lights were working and then I adjusted the brightness on the interior lights while I was driving last night cause it was very bright. Ever since I did that, the dome lights aren’t working anymore. I’ve read the thread and tried everything and nothing works. The lights do work when I manually press the specific light button for each, but not when the doors open.
This was the post that turned on the light for me, literally. I just got a 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn a few weeks ago. I never really noticed the switch that shuts off the dome lights completely.

I turned on the map light briefly on the way to work this morning and when I got to work and opened the door I got nothing but darkness. Turns out I accidentally shut that switch off. It turns off the courtesy lights on the mirrors and tailgate and the cargo light also.

I walked away from the truck thinking I was going to have to start checking fuses or possibly had some kind of software problem, because the map lights, cargo, and tailgate lights all worked when I turned them on with their dedicated switches, but the dome light above the rear seat didn't work no matter what.

I've never owned a vehicle with a switch that completely disabled the dome and courtesy lights like that. Now I know to not panic if it happens again.

Users who are viewing this thread