5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interference and the key fob

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Yesterday the wife and I drove up to Mt Wilson to take the observatory tour. Last one for the year.

Anyway, the gate to the observatory parking lot doesn't open until 10. We were early, so we pulled over and parked maybe 100 yards away from one of the many TV and radio antennas up there. We got out and walked back to doublecheck if there was a pedestrian gate taht might be open. As I walked back to the truck, I clicked the fob twice but it only unlocked the driver's door. I didn't think anything of it.

So we get ready to move the truck and I get the "Key Fob not detected" message. Great. I held the fob up to the pushbutton and it started fine. I'm thinking the key fob battery must be dead. No big deal, I know how to start it.

So we moved the truck and went and bought our tickets then came back to get some stuff out of the truck and move it again. The key fob wouldn't work at all. I had to use the mechanical key to unlock. And of course, as soon as I did the horn started blowing and pressing unlock didn't work, so I had to turn the truck on but of course it wouldn't until I held the key up to the pushbutton. Okay, dash comes on, horn stops blowing. Truck starts okay with the fob up close.

As we're wandering around killing time, we see a sign on the bulletin board addressed to Tesla owners. Apparently, the radio antennas nearby really mess with their electronics and if the car won't unlock, where to hold the fob to unlock it and also to hold the fob against the start button. Hmmph, they should mention RAMs, too, I think.

So a couple hours later as we're preparing to leave, our tour guide walks past so I stop him and mention the Tesla sign and that it also affects RAMs. His reply? "Subarus, too," jerking his head towards his car.

So..... if you have an erratic no unlock and/or key fob not detected, look around. It might just be a lot of interference from somebody's antenna.

hogger

Reaction score
Mt Wilson is a pretty saturated hilltop for RF. I would guess the list of car RF system that do work up there is probably shorter than the list that don't. It's been many years since I've been up there, but I don't remember if I had any issues, or maybe I just didn't stray from my car and therefore didn't lock it. Good old fashioned key only ignition on my car at the time.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have had that issue before in places that I think as stated above could be more interference.

Users who are viewing this thread