5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Installing Factory Trailer Brake Controller and DIY Software Update

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I don’t have the brake controller, just the bypass cable and jscan. Sorry!

Noway

Reaction score
Just stopping by to document another successful ITBM installation thanks to brotharon (and all the other information along the way.)
have you used the same part numbers as the 1st post?
Was wondering if for '23 there's an updated part number

eprovenzano

Reaction score
Installed the brake controller into my 22 RAM, next on the to-do list is to programing the unit. Researching OBD connectors and software for windows (I don't have an android device)

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Installed the brake controller into my 22 RAM, next on the to-do list is to programing the unit. Researching OBD connectors and software for windows (I don't have an android device)
Use Jscan, it's for apple devices

eprovenzano

Reaction score
Use Jscan, it's for apple devices
I would, but I have a situation... As I type this, it's Wednesday afternoon and I just found out I need to move a camper on Friday. Yes it's large enough that I will need the use of the brake controller... So I called the stealership, and was told they would need to have the unique ID/Pin on the brake controller... I started to laugh at him... (I used the part numbers supplied in the thread an ordered a kit off of Amazon) I told him all they needed to to was to go into the setting and turn on 4 items. Plus I want the backup lights turned on as well. He had to go talk to the tech and said without the pin number it "may take longer" but they can do it. Ok, whatever. I have an appointment for Friday morning at 8:00 AM. I'll be $125 lighter in the wallet, but I have no choice. I'll report back as to the results.

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I would, but I have a situation... As I type this, it's Wednesday afternoon and I just found out I need to move a camper on Friday. Yes it's large enough that I will need the use of the brake controller... So I called the stealership, and was told they would need to have the unique ID/Pin on the brake controller... I started to laugh at him... (I used the part numbers supplied in the thread an ordered a kit off of Amazon) I told him all they needed to to was to go into the setting and turn on 4 items. Plus I want the backup lights turned on as well. He had to go talk to the tech and said without the pin number it "may take longer" but they can do it. Ok, whatever. I have an appointment for Friday morning at 8:00 AM. I'll be $125 lighter in the wallet, but I have no choice. I'll report back as to the results.
You could have probably ordered a Bluetooth scan tool and SGW bypass off Amazon, had them by Friday, and done it yourself.

barrybbenson

Reaction score
Thank you to brotharon and all here. I bought my 2024 1500 Bighorn on 13 Jan. I bought AlfaOBD on playstore today, along with ODBLink MX+, Exctool 12+8 pin Adapter Security Bypass cable for SGW FCA vehicles, module 68277136AF, switch 68309259AD, bracket, screws, nuts, and Infotainment FCA Security Gateway Module Bypass SKU C-MODBYP.

Edit! Did I need both Exctool cable adapter and Infotainment Bypass module?

Hoping to get this trailer controller in and set up when it all gets here.

I also am considering power sliding rear window add down the road.
Very glad to be here and spending time reading a lot of content!

Barrybbenson,
2024 RAM 1500 Bighorn
Iboard running boards, class IV receiver

Attachments

• 20240123_192125.jpg
    20240123_192125.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you to brotharon and all here. I bought my 2024 1500 Bighorn on 13 Jan. I bought AlfaOBD on playstore today, along with ODBLink MX+, Exctool 12+8 pin Adapter Security Bypass cable for SGW FCA vehicles, module 68277136AF, switch 68309259AD, bracket, screws, nuts, and Infotainment FCA Security Gateway Module Bypass SKU C-MODBYP.

Edit! Did I need both Exctool cabe adapter and Infotainment Bypass module?

Barrybbenson,
2024 RAM 1500 Bighorn
Your truck doesn't have a power sliding rear window? I thought that was standard.

eprovenzano

Reaction score
You could have probably ordered a Bluetooth scan tool and SGW bypass off Amazon, had them by Friday, and done it yourself.
I agree... but I was concerned about timing as I need the brakes to work today ( I had to have it working in three days) So, to be sure I had the stealership flash the truck. It's funny how when I made the appt, they asked for "code" off the paperwork for the brake controller... (I purchased a kit via Amazon) and tossed the paperwork after the install. They "weren't sure if they could program it" I let them know in no uncertain terms that, 1.) yes they could program it, and 2.) No they didn't need the "code". Thanks to this forum, I was an educated consumer, and knew what they needed to do. So 45 min and $125.00 later, my truck's trailer brake has been flashed. It shows up on the display as well as on the radio display. For future changes I do plan on getting the OBD2 connector, Security Gateway Bypass and probably Jscan so I can use my apple device to make changes as I need. Thanks to this forum, I'm a happy RAM owner.

eprovenzano

Reaction score
Just a FYI. The Amazon kit I purchased was great. Dealer was able to flash it without any problems, and it worked great while towing a 9,000 lbs trailer. The only issue I had was the nutzerts provided in the kit. Put them in the truck and proceeded to fight / cuss / get really pissed off over the next several hours… as you know there’s not a lot of room in there. I found after fighting with them, that the backs of the nutzerts were solid, not allowing the screws to go through them… so I zip tied the bracket in place and installed the controller… had I “looked” at the nutzerts prior to installing them, I would have saved myself a lot of time, aggravation, and busted knuckles. 😩

barrybbenson

Reaction score

Edit! Did I need both Exctool cable adapter and Infotainment Bypass module?

Barrybbenson,
2024 RAM 1500 Bighorn
So I didn't both the Exctool SGW cable and the Infotainment bypass module.....one or the other. I installed all the hardware last night and am doing the flash with Alfaodb today....fingers crossed! I want make sure I figure out how to" find and save my ID" and do the backup thing in Alfa ODB for sure. Using Samsung android tablet.

Thanks @brotharon

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So I didn't both the Exctool SGW cable and the Infotainment bypass module.....one or the other. I installed all the hardware last night and am doing the flash with Alfaodb today....fingers crossed! I want make sure I figure out how to" find and save my ID" and do the backup thing in Alfa ODB for sure. Using Samsung android tablet.

Thanks @brotharon
Not sure why you would need an infotainment bypass cable for most things.

barrybbenson

Reaction score
I can get to step 3 Select Central Gateway Module from the 3rd dropdown for my 2024 and connect to Central Gateway Module 2006-13 and can't find next option for trailer module stuff. Tried connecting to a bunch of other option ad can't find the trailer module stuff for step 4. Any help?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I can get to step 3 Select Central Gateway Module from the 3rd dropdown for my 2024 and connect to Central Gateway Module 2006-13 and can't find next option for trailer module stuff. Tried connecting to a bunch of other option ad can't find the trailer module stuff for step 4. Any help?
Should be doing this
Screenshot_20240214-170912.png
Screenshot_20240214-170920.png

Ethgriskolir

Reaction score
I installed my brake controller today and am suddenly having a black screen on the infotainment and oddly the lock switch in the door doesn’t work and the front windows wont roll down and only the driver side mirror will fold. Any idea what I did wrong. Right now just leaving truck sitting to see if it is just a gremlin. I also had no errors of any sort when running alfaobd or Jscan.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I installed my brake controller today and am suddenly having a black screen on the infotainment and oddly the lock switch in the door doesn’t work and the front windows wont roll down and only the driver side mirror will fold. Any idea what I did wrong. Right now just leaving truck sitting to see if it is just a gremlin. I also had no errors of any sort when running alfaobd or Jscan.
Give it a little bit to reset, but you may have toggled the wrong setting when trying to enable the brake controller. Hopefully you saved a stock configuration file before making changes.

Ethgriskolir

Reaction score
Turns out I’m dumb and they have different connectors that will fit different slots which I’ve never seen before and I connected the wrong ones. After correcting that issue all is back to normal now. I must have grounded some stuff out when I swapped them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online