5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Installed Air Lift 1000 HD in my 2021 Ram 1500 today

Whiteymin

Reaction score
So today I installed the Air Lift 1000 HD on my 2021 Ram 1500 Bighorn. I jacked the rear of truck up by my hitch receiver. I jacked it until wheels just lifted off ground. This opened up the coil spring with a wider gap. I was able to fold the bag in the hotdog method and it was easy to push in the coils. On the first I did push it all the way in and barely had enough room to use my fingers and get the air line connected to it. On the passenger side I got the bag started in the coil and then connected the line to it. Much easier for sure. Then I pushed it the rest of the way in. I decided to run 2 separate lines, one for each bag and not use the “T” connection due to recommendations of it being more versatile. I slide the protectors up into the rubber upper spring mount. The longest part of the install was routing the airlines and using zip ties to keep them in place and away from mufflers. I was much more meticulous than I had to be. Next was mounting the shearer valves which I choose to do beside the license plate. I found a square flat spot that I carefully measured and then drilled. I didn’t want to hit anywhere near support molds. Feeling good about the install I knew I had to still get past the leak checks. I made sure lines and bags were in place and no pinching anywhere. I then filled with 35 pounds of air. I sprayed soap and water solution over the connections and didn’t detect any leaks. The connections to the top of the springs were not visible so I sprayed solution up there but would have only seen a leak if the bubbles were huge. After setting awhile I checked and it was holding pressure. I took a drive and checked again. Pressure still good. I moved pressure down to 20 pounds just to alter it. Tested again 3 hours later and they still read 20 pounds. At that point I backed them down to 7.5 pounds which is where I will leave them unless I’m towing. I feel good about the job and feel it looks professionally done. I just hope they continue to not leak. In the end, I think key was jacking high enough to open the spring gaps wide to which made it easy to push bags in. Next tip would be to connect the air line after starting the bag in but before it is all the way in. Think through the line routing and measure 2 times it 3 before drilling holes for valves. The old saying measure twice and cut once comes to mind. I think they should make big difference in towing and alleviating the roll and bounce. And level the truck as well instead of the sag. Good luck to anyone thinking of using the air bags. I am by no means a mechanic. In fact I would call myself one who is absolutely not mechanically inclined. Truly if I can do this anybody can.

Whiteymin

Reaction score
Here’s a couple pics of the install

Attachments

• 69D94D39-1C67-4DF0-8A66-572B1D3EEBCD.jpeg
    69D94D39-1C67-4DF0-8A66-572B1D3EEBCD.jpeg
    108.8 KB · Views: 168
  • 35370FEB-21E2-4336-A933-F4E281B1DF84.jpeg
    35370FEB-21E2-4336-A933-F4E281B1DF84.jpeg
    100.8 KB · Views: 167
  • 1CA0ED04-17FD-4222-94AC-AE8F94B6745A.jpeg
    1CA0ED04-17FD-4222-94AC-AE8F94B6745A.jpeg
    116.8 KB · Views: 167

Got pipe

Reaction score
Nice install. I also have installed those on my 2019, and also my 09 4runner. No issues so far with over 3 years on the t4r and over 2.5 on the Ram. Definitely helps with stability. Also not tying the two sides together helps tremendously.

PhillyPhan

Reaction score
How's this holding up for you? I have a Rebel and now in need of some airbags. Thinking about adding the onboard compressor as well.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I'm thinking of doing this to mine, as I have travel trailer dreams.

Jorangel87

Reaction score
So today I installed the Air Lift 1000 HD on my 2021 Ram 1500 Bighorn. I jacked the rear of truck up by my hitch receiver. I jacked it until wheels just lifted off ground. This opened up the coil spring with a wider gap. I was able to fold the bag in the hotdog method and it was easy to push in the coils. On the first I did push it all the way in and barely had enough room to use my fingers and get the air line connected to it. On the passenger side I got the bag started in the coil and then connected the line to it. Much easier for sure. Then I pushed it the rest of the way in. I decided to run 2 separate lines, one for each bag and not use the “T” connection due to recommendations of it being more versatile. I slide the protectors up into the rubber upper spring mount. The longest part of the install was routing the airlines and using zip ties to keep them in place and away from mufflers. I was much more meticulous than I had to be. Next was mounting the shearer valves which I choose to do beside the license plate. I found a square flat spot that I carefully measured and then drilled. I didn’t want to hit anywhere near support molds. Feeling good about the install I knew I had to still get past the leak checks. I made sure lines and bags were in place and no pinching anywhere. I then filled with 35 pounds of air. I sprayed soap and water solution over the connections and didn’t detect any leaks. The connections to the top of the springs were not visible so I sprayed solution up there but would have only seen a leak if the bubbles were huge. After setting awhile I checked and it was holding pressure. I took a drive and checked again. Pressure still good. I moved pressure down to 20 pounds just to alter it. Tested again 3 hours later and they still read 20 pounds. At that point I backed them down to 7.5 pounds which is where I will leave them unless I’m towing. I feel good about the job and feel it looks professionally done. I just hope they continue to not leak. In the end, I think key was jacking high enough to open the spring gaps wide to which made it easy to push bags in. Next tip would be to connect the air line after starting the bag in but before it is all the way in. Think through the line routing and measure 2 times it 3 before drilling holes for valves. The old saying measure twice and cut once comes to mind. I think they should make big difference in towing and alleviating the roll and bounce. And level the truck as well instead of the sag. Good luck to anyone thinking of using the air bags. I am by no means a mechanic. In fact I would call myself one who is absolutely not mechanically inclined. Truly if I can do this anybody can.
Can I add them to my ram just for better ride/comfort? I don’t do much towing,but I do have bilstein 5100’s all around to level it out. Love the ride now but if these make a bit of a difference for $120 then I can add them and have the. Just in case I happen to tow or for highway cruising or uneven roads here in Chicago.

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can I add them to my ram just for better ride/comfort? I don’t do much towing,but I do have bilstein 5100’s all around to level it out. Love the ride now but if these make a bit of a difference for $120 then I can add them and have the. Just in case I happen to tow or for highway cruising or uneven roads here in Chicago.
They're not going to help with ride unless you're towing. You have Bilsteins already. These just level out the back with a load.

Jorangel87

Reaction score
They're not going to help with ride unless you're towing. You have Bilsteins already. These just level out the back with a load.
That’s exactly what I thought. Ride is already impressive with the bilstein’s. Thanks anyway.

Edmontonram

Reaction score
I would not recommend these 1000HD bags if you live in a cold climate. I have had to replace mine (under warranty) multiple times due to cracking and leaking. Airlift knows about the problem and just continues to send warranty replacements. I'm sick of changing out the in-coil bags and am going with another company. To bad airlift won't allow me to pay the difference for a different style of airbag, they have lost a customer and I will let everyone know of the issues I have had.

Nelw23

Reaction score
I would not recommend these 1000HD bags if you live in a cold climate. I have had to replace mine (under warranty) multiple times due to cracking and leaking. Airlift knows about the problem and just continues to send warranty replacements. I'm sick of changing out the in-coil bags and am going with another company. To bad airlift won't allow me to pay the difference for a different style of airbag, they have lost a customer and I will let everyone know of the issues I have had.
What did you end up with? I'm in the market for a solution and live in Maine so sounds like I might have the same issues.

Users who are viewing this thread