5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm wondering why...

daneel

Reaction score
So, I'm looking to purchase a Ram and ran across a 2018 Laramie Limited that sat on a car sales lot for 103 days and had 11K miles on it. Nice truck, had the Hemi, air ride suspension, etc. but it had a short bed. Ran across another 2018 Laramie Limited with long bed, no air suspension and and has been on the car sales lot for 60+ days. The first one did recently sell for $39,990, the latter still for sale @ 42,000.

My question being with...
1. Very nice truck
2. reasonable price
3. very low miles
4. long time on lot

I can think of 2 reasons, one being someone found they were buried in payments or 2, someone could afford to buy a new truck every year.

Anybody else got an idea or rationale?

thanks

AndreiV

Reaction score
So, I'm looking to purchase a Ram and ran across a 2018 Laramie Limited that sat on a car sales lot for 103 days and had 11K miles on it. Nice truck, had the Hemi, air ride suspension, etc. but it had a short bed. Ran across another 2018 Laramie Limited with long bed, no air suspension and and has been on the car sales lot for 60+ days. The first one did recently sell for $39,990, the latter still for sale @ 42,000.

My question being with...
1. Very nice truck
2. reasonable price
3. very low miles
4. long time on lot

I can think of 2 reasons, one being someone found they were buried in payments or 2, someone could afford to buy a new truck every year.

Anybody else got an idea or rationale?

thanks
Or truck had issues and previous owner traded it in. Try to use all available resources to you when buying used vehicle.
Simple copy paste of VIN numer into myCARFAX app (I use it for tracking maintenance on all my cars) may provide maintenance records, etc.
For example I just copy/paste random 2019 RAM VIN that is for sale in CA in my zip code and myCARFAX showed that truck was originally registered in Oklahoma on 1Oct2018, hmm... All I know about Oklahoma is tornadoes and PDR.

Last edited:

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
CARFAX will show you quite a bit, I know I traded my 2014 Outdoorsman in on my 2019 Rebel and I am from Ontario, Canada and it was taken from my dealer and sold a few times and it ended up in North Carolina.

BGRAM

Reaction score
It could have also been one of the dealership's retired loaner vehicles if they offer them.

geotex1

Reaction score
Any show up with a commercial title? Rental car companies flip out trucks rapidly. For instance, one major company has a 15K mile threshold. Further, I can cite many from camping forums who bought too much trailer for their half ton and traded up to a heavier truck. Some people also just don't like what they bought and do not prolong not enjoying. Finally, the auctions are absolutely flooded by repossessions because folks just cannot deal with huge payments on trucks these days. One dealer in Baltimore bought 23 bank repos from the last auction I was at, and at ridiculously low prices! I saw that same dealer advertising one truck $14K more than his buyer bought it for and another $8.5K over, and at advertised prices right where KBB expects and beautiful trucks! It's not always the lemon scenario. Just do your due diligence.

daneel

Reaction score
Well, thanks folks...appreciate the insight. btw, the latter truck has 7100 miles on it.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Seems high for a 2018 when you can buy a 19’ new... I dont know the gen 4 trims but was there a “Laramie Ltd” or just a Laramie and then above that a Limited? The discount for an 18 gen 4 would have to be getting pretty steep what with all the gen 5 improvements (except for air).

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Maybe someone bought those trucks before the 2019 RAMs came out and had to have a 2019 once they saw it. I know a lot of people who have traded in a one year old vehicle just to get the updated model.

daneel

Reaction score
Seems high for a 2018 when you can buy a 19’ new... I dont know the gen 4 trims but was there a “Laramie Ltd” or just a Laramie and then above that a Limited? The discount for an 18 gen 4 would have to be getting pretty steep what with all the gen 5 improvements (except for air).

According to KBB, the trim models just show Laramie, Laramie Limited and Laramie Longhhorn. This vehicle being sold as certified, extended 7/100000 warranty. Also Limited Tungsten edition.

silver billet

Reaction score
Your choice, but I refuse to buy 1 year old or newer used cars unless I know the owner/history; because you just never know why they were traded in so fast. Rentals, and problem cars are probably the majority of the reason, and I don't want either of those.

If you plan to keep the truck for a while (5+ years), it's just not worth it to me when you look at the little bit you save over the cost of brand new.

geotex1

Reaction score
Your choice, but I refuse to buy 1 year old or newer used cars unless I know the owner/history; because you just never know why they were traded in so fast. Rentals, and problem cars are probably the majority of the reason, and I don't want either of those.

If you plan to keep the truck for a while (5+ years), it's just not worth it to me when you look at the little bit you save over the cost of brand new.

Fair point, and everyone has a different tolerance for risk. Me personally, I have bought numerous, 1 to 2 year-old vehicles, and enjoyed to fact I wasn't clipped by a new vehicle's instantaneous depreciation. However, I'm also not the average person in that I have significant knowledge of automobiles. I've never regretted one I've bought. The average person can do the same if they have a trusted mechanic.

Nonetheless, don't lose sight that if you buy gently used, that vehicle is still subject to the balance of the manufacturer's warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread