5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IH Fridge--Fathers Christmas present

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Kind of a long read. Skip to last paragraph for final details

So I have a 1950 International Harvester fridge in my garage that was handed down through the family. It stopped working several years ago and was given to me, and ai got it running again and have been using it for my "beer fridge" since. Earlier this year the same model fridge popped up on local marketplace. Seller said it suddenly stopped working and he didn't want to deal with it. I picked it up for what I thought was a good price. And having fixed the family one, figured this would be an easy fix, then flip it to at least double my money, if not more. I get it home, plug it in, and it works just fine. I did replace the door seal with a proper seal, since previous owner just had some cheap foam tape stuck on it.

Then, talking to my dad, he asked why I bought it since I already had one. Told him I was planning on fixing and selling it. But since it was in such good shape I decided to keep it. He made a comment that he would have liked to have it.

So then I approached my brother and sister and talked about making it his Christmas present from all of us. They thought that was a good idea.

I had a few different ideas running through my head. Getting it repainted red with some IH and Farmall decals on it. But since the factory porcelain finish was still in good shape on it, decided to just keep it white.

Now, a little back story. My grandfather, on my mom's side, bought a "brand new" 1950 Farmall C in 1951 from local dealer in Nebraska City. He used it on his farm, mostly for gardening. My dad got into Farmall tractors for antique tractor pulling in late 80s. We had restored a M and an H. Then decided to restore the C for my Grandpa. During the process of stripping it down, we found a lot of white paint under the original red. This was back before the Internet. A lot of research, and it was discovered what we had was a factory "Demostrator" tractor the dealers used to go around and show farmers the features of the available tractors. So we tracked down the right paint color and painted it back white. That year we went to the national Red Power Round Up in Wisconsin. This was the first restored demonstrator tractor ever to appear at a Red Power Round Up. Since then, hundreds more have popped up, and several non-factoru demonstrators pains up to loon like them. After my grandparents had to move off the farm for health reasons, it was then handed down to my mom.

So now to finish the story on the fridge. I decided to buy some decals and vinyl and make the fridge look like the demonstrator C my parents have. Here are some pictures of the mostly finished fridge. Last two pics were right after I got it
PXL_20231203_032945695.jpg PXL_20231203_032949459.jpg PXL_20230727_221101749.jpg PXL_20230727_221124878.jpg

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What a Demonstrator Farmall C looks like.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231202-213057.png
    Screenshot_20231202-213057.png
    650.9 KB · Views: 31

Av1

Reaction score
What did your dad think of the Christmas gift?

It was such a cool thing to do for him. I wanted to see how it went.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What did your dad think of the Christmas gift?

It was such a cool thing to do for him. I wanted to see how it went.
He liked it. He saw it before Christmas when he came to my house, but didn't know it was for him at the time. Wasn't able to deliver it Christmas Day due to weather, so it's still at my house.

Reactions: Av1

Users who are viewing this thread