5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IDIOT LIGHTS WILL NOT GO OFF.

chuckalug

Reaction score
2021 ram e torque just changed battery. The idiot lights will not clear. Did leave negative terminal off for am hour, did switch key on off 4 times all with no success. Auto Zone cannot clear. Dealer wants $175.00 to clear, my battery cost only $125.00... ANY WILL BE APPRECIATED..Thanks.

Have you put some miles on the truck after the battery change? Other option is picking up a bluetooth scan tool and clearing the codes yourself if it continues (alfaobd ) for example but you also need to know what codes its throwing and if its in fact related to the battery going bad or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

"Idiot lights" have always meant to me the upshift indicator on a manual transmission vehicle.

But anyway, @PurpleRT is right; the manfunction indicator light ("check engine light") should clear itself after you put a few miles on it.

Have you put some miles on the truck after the battery change? Other option is picking up a bluetooth scan tool and clearing the codes yourself if it continues (alfaobd ) for example but you also need to know what codes its throwing and if its in fact related to the battery going bad or not.

Yes over 150 miles ad requested by auto zone. Battery is brand new and just rechecked by auto zone.

What were the original codes that caused the check engine light to trigger? When and how did you determine it was a battery related issue?

The battery died in my driveway, charged it , drove it to AZone they checked it and was bad. The new battery replacement caused the lights to come on , after all trials I mentioned nothing helped.

As someone who’s thinking about replacing their battery soon, I’m curious did you get a one for one replacement? Did you get another brand with a similar number of starts and all that

Auto Zone brand same stats. This is the first replacement battery on my 2021 ram 1500 etorque. Thanks for the reply.

2021 ram e torque just changed battery. The idiot lights will not clear. Did leave negative terminal off for am hour, did switch key on off 4 times all with no success. Auto Zone cannot clear. Dealer wants $175.00 to clear, my battery cost only $125.00... ANY WILL BE APPRECIATED..Thanks.
Typically it takes several start/stop cycles to reset the computer codes (you need to drive it, not just start/stop 5 times in your driveway). If they don't go out after about 5 cycles, you may have an unrelated issue - go to the dealer to find out what's going on.

Just a thought, but did something happen to the intelligent battery sensor at the battery terminal. Maybe damaged or disconnected?

I

Have you put some miles on the truck after the battery change? Other option is picking up a bluetooth scan tool and clearing the codes yourself if it continues (alfaobd ) for example but you also need to know what codes itsI throwing and if its in fact related to the battery going bad or not.

Just a thought, but did something happen to the intelligent battery sensor at the battery terminal. Maybe damaged or disconnected?

Thanks for your interest, AZone rep did check posts and tried to reset the dash with their tool but to no avail.

Thanks for your interest, AZone rep did check posts and tried to reset the dash with their tool but to no avail.
Late to the party. IIRC, depending what codes are set, you might have to connect the SGW bypass cable to clear them.
Pretty sure I had to do that when my wheel speed sensor wire was cut, setting an ABS and stability control DTC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.
Back