5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hurricane oil pressure

Moconto

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 2025 Big Horn with the Hurricane. When I picked it up and was driving to work I noticed the oil pressure was around 23-24 lbs. at 65 mph. I freaked because I was used to the 50 lb on my Hemis. I thought great I have a bad motor. Dealer didn't know the correct oil pressure when I called, but later a mechanic looked it up and said that 24# was normal. This seems pretty weird to me but I guess for whatever reason it runs very low on this motor! Here is the weird part. My oil pressure at idle is 23# ish and it's the same 23-24# at 75 mph. Makes absolutely no sense to me! Anyone else notice this?

Hi, I have a 2025 Big Horn with the Hurricane. When I picked it up and was driving to work I noticed the oil pressure was around 23-24 lbs. at 65 mph. I freaked because I was used to the 50 lb on my Hemis. I thought great I have a bad motor. Dealer didn't know the correct oil pressure when I called, but later a mechanic looked it up and said that 24# was normal. This seems pretty weird to me but I guess for whatever reason it runs very low on this motor! Here is the weird part. My oil pressure at idle is 23# ish and it's the same 23-24# at 75 mph. Makes absolutely no sense to me! Anyone else notice this?
From my understanding, there is a variable rate oil pump used in the Hurricanes. Unless the engine is under a load, there really is no need for high oil pressure. 10 psi for every 1000 RPM is the general consensus for safe oil pressure in all engines.

I've seen oil pressure as low as 19 PSI in my 2020 EcoDiesel, for example idling at a traffic light at the end of an offramp after an extended highway run. I've seen it as high as 50 PSI during cold starts. As HSKR said, these modern oil pumps are variable output, depending on need at any given time, and oil viscosity. My favorite oil by far is Amsoil. Their vehicle-specific "oil change kits" are handy, too.
Here are a couple of links to info on variable-output oil pumps:
https://www.asme.org/topics-resources/content/better-fuel-efficiency-through-a-better-oil-pump
https://www.underhoodservice.com/variable-displacement-future-oil-pump/
Notice that one of the articles mentions controlling pressure as low as 1 bar, which is roughly 15 PSI.

Last edited:
From my understanding, there is a variable rate oil pump used in the Hurricanes. Unless the engine is under a load, there really is no need for high oil pressure. 10 psi for every 1000 RPM is the general consensus for safe oil pressure in all engines.
Never thought of that. Makes sense, if that's the case I guess it works pretty good! Thanks for the thoughts....

My 25 with the Hurricane runs 24-26 psi about all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back