5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hurricane cold start high idle and operating temp questions

az_sst

Reaction score
I took delivery of a '25 quad cab 4x4 with the Hurricane 3.0 two weeks ago and have questions relating to two issues. Firstly, the high idle time with a cold engine seems excessive to me. At relatively warm ambient temps (80'sF), and a cold engine, the engine will idle at 1500 rpm for ~1.5 mins before dropping to 600-700. At slightly cooler ambient temps (60-70's) the high idle at cold start can be as long as 5 mins before dropping down.
The second issue is with the operation of the radiator cooling fan. At highway speeds, or with the AC on, both coolant and oil temps stabilize at 195-200F. At slower speeds and with the AC off the coolant temps approach 220F before the fan kicks on, and it stays on only until the the temps drop slightly to 212-214F where it turns off again, and the cycle repeats. When it does turn on at the higher temps it is not running that fast (not as fast as with the AC on). It seems to me that it should be moving as much air as possible at those temps.
Just looking to other Hurricane owners for their observations and experiences. Are these behaviors normal or is something wrong with my truck? Thanks.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The idle time is consistent with what I have scene on my truck. Honestly, I have not paid much attention to the coolant temp. but I will try to keep an eye on it and let you know.

MT755

Reaction score
I'm guess the engineers want the engine temps and catalytic converter temp up quickly to reduce emissions. Maybee?

az_sst

Reaction score
Well I answered my own question. A review of temperature related threads in the Hemi sections of this site show a lot of descriptions of the same operation if not hotter: fan comes on at ~220F and off at ~210F with AC off, coolant temps run ~205F with the AC on. I'm calling it normal operation for now although I might go with an after-market PWM fan control for towing to lower the temps a bit. It seems the manufacturers like to run these modern engines at temps that make us old-schoolers a little squeamish.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well I answered my own question. A review of temperature related threads in the Hemi sections of this site show a lot of descriptions of the same operation if not hotter: fan comes on at ~220F and off at ~210F with AC off, coolant temps run ~205F with the AC on. I'm calling it normal operation for now although I might go with an after-market PWM fan control for towing to lower the temps a bit. It seems the manufacturers like to run these modern engines at temps that make us old-schoolers a little squeamish.
I'd say just leave it. Modern engines run hotter, it's completely fine.

Sent from my SM-S911W using Tapatalk

el-zilcho

Reaction score
Wagoneer 3.0 owner here, mine has the same long idle warm up time, however, mine has the hd tow package with upgraded cooling and while towing 6k enclosed trailer my oil or coolant temps never topped 212. Be on the lookout for failing thermostat housings, it's starting to become an issue because they are plastic.

Users who are viewing this thread