5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to rotate my tires?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have my tires rotated about twice a year. Have about 36000 miles on them. I’ve noticed that two of the tires have more wear than the other two, and not sure how the shop rotates them.

Question is, should I continue with regular rotation, or put the two with the most tread on the rear? Would the rears wear faster since rwd?

I have my tires rotated about twice a year. Have about 36000 miles on them. I’ve noticed that two of the tires have more wear than the other two, and not sure how the shop rotates them.

Question is, should I continue with regular rotation, or put the two with the most tread on the rear? Would the rears wear faster since rwd?

I always rotate and balance mine every 6000 miles. I still have the factory tires at 53,000 miles. I'd rather have more traction on my front wheels for steering. But regular rotation should make them wear better. That's why I do the recommendation of every 6,000 miles.

Yeah but how? The old cris-cross, left front to right rear, RR to to RF, RF to LR ?
or just front to back, same side?

I always rotate and balance mine every 6000 miles. I still have the factory tires at 53,000 miles. I'd rather have more traction on my front wheels for steering. But regular rotation should make them wear better. That's why I do the recommendation of every 6,000 miles.
I’m pretty close to 12k miles a year, so similar to you. Guess I havent really been paying attention to how they are wearing. I’m thinking the rear will get punished more on rwd?

Yeah but how? The old cris-cross, left front to right rear, RR to to RF, RF to LR ?
I’m really not sure how my shop does it, I’ve never watched them since they pick up my truck and bring it back

Have you checked the owner's manual?
3e3c717aeb3cee502d488af712e80e9c.jpg

Have you checked the owner's manual?
3e3c717aeb3cee502d488af712e80e9c.jpg
This. And for me right now, the two tires with the most wear are on the right side of the truck. If they were using this method, it wouldn’t be so?

I've found that the front tires wear thru the tread faster because they are doing all the steering and most of the stopping. That's the reason for rotating them. Before radial tires you criss crossed them front to back and left to right. Now that we all run on radial tires for the most part it is not recommended to switch side to side, just front to rear. Something to do with the alinement, which I never fully understood.
Maybe some one with more knowledge than I can jump in here.

If you go side to side then the tires will rotate in the opposite direction whereas front to back they ll still rotate in the same direction. What does that mean, I don t know. I ll be rotating them every 10K in whatever is easiest with the jacks I have.
IMO as long as you are moving them around it will be fine. I also check carefully for the first sign of uneven wear so I can see an alignment issue ASAP. I had the truck aligned for free when I first bought it. Monitor tire pressures often esp as the temperatures change. 1 psi change for every 10 degrees in temperature.

FYI, Factory alignment was way off.

I do fronts straight back and criss cross rears to the front. This will get the tires rotated through all positions.

I've found that the front tires wear thru the tread faster because they are doing all the steering and most of the stopping. That's the reason for rotating them. Before radial tires you criss crossed them front to back and left to right. Now that we all run on radial tires for the most part it is not recommended to switch side to side, just front to rear. Something to do with the alinement, which I never fully understood.
Maybe some one with more knowledge than I can jump in here.
I've never seen it recommended not to cross side to side. Unless you have directional tires which a lot of high performance and winter tires are.

I've never seen it recommended not to cross side to side. Unless you have directional tires which a lot of high performance and winter tires are.
Yup. You couldn’t change direction of rotation before radials. Now we criss cross.

I have always done rear to front and front cross to the rears with a truck.

Most shops will do front to rear, unless they see unusual wear and then will cross method. That's assuming they bother to really inspect them.

I would go the cross method if doing yourself, but I prefer a tire shop that also balances, because the rears will tend to become unbalance and cause vibrations when put to the front. Most dealerships will only rotate and not balance, which is why I use Discount/American Tire's lifetime rotation/balance and road hazard. Pretty much pays for itself after a few uses.

Most shops will do front to rear, unless they see unusual wear and then will cross method. That's assuming they bother to really inspect them.

I would go the cross method if doing yourself, but I prefer a tire shop that also balances, because the rears will tend to become unbalance and cause vibrations when put to the front. Most dealerships will only rotate and not balance, which is why I use Discount/American Tire's lifetime rotation/balance and road hazard. Pretty much pays for itself after a few uses.
Yep… I was totally unaware of Discount’s road hazard protection on tires NOT purchased from them..
My local DT also has a road force balancer, which…sometimes is not needed, but nice to have when you do.

With the roads is Metro Detroit as they are…. I don’t care what kind of weights are being used, solid practice to get them rotated and balanced each time. 6 to 10 K is my window unless I see uneven wear.

Yep… I was totally unaware of Discount’s road hazard protection on tires NOT purchased from them..
My local DT also has a road force balancer, which…sometimes is not needed, but nice to have when you do.

With the roads is Metro Detroit as they are…. I don’t care what kind of weights are being used, solid practice to get them rotated and balanced each time. 6 to 10 K is my window unless I see uneven wear.

Absolutely, Discount/American tire will road hazard and lifetime balance & rotate any tires, just as long as they have usable tread, even if not purchased through them. You usually can even negotiate to get a better deal. I think I paid less than $200 for the package on my RAM, just one tire replacement or 3 rotations/balances will more than pay for the package, I do it on every new vehicle I buy.

So, tires with less tread in front or back? Which location would increase their life?

So, tires with less tread in front or back? Which location would increase their life?
Depends on how you drive. Safety wise, more tread in front as that is where your steering and most of your braking is. But will wear out outside edge of tire quicker. If you don't drive like a NHRA driver with acceleration and spinning your tires, they will probably last longer on the rear.

For me, how I drive, it’s a balance. I get more overall wear from the rear, but I get feathered edges up front from turning.
I try to get mine rotated and balanced in the 6 to 8K mile range.
I’m the guy that looks at the outside of the truck every time I fill up. So I notice feathering on the edges, wear (and of course, scuffs, scratches, etc..lol).

If I see too much feathering in the fronts before I’m due for a rotation, I have the alignment checked and done.
99 times out of 100, it’s just a minor toe adjustment…but of course, you’re paying for the alignment one way or another…

Talked to a tire expert I know. He said the right sides are worn because the place that rotated my tires are only doing front to back, and not crossing. The right rear wears the most because it’s the primary pulling tire. Suggested ordering two tires, put them in the back, and rotate left and right only for awhile. Until they even out.

Thanks for the help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back