5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to remedy carpet smell? From spoiled milk.

dphel27

Reaction score
I have a 19’ Laramie with the center console. I discovered yesterday that somehow my sons milk bottle got inside the center console and leaked. Our driveway sits on a incline, I noticed that the milk had spoiled and leaked down through the holes of where the partition is located near the bottom end of the center console. I thoroughly cleaned the center console inside and out and the smell is still present. I removed 4 screws on the outside of the center console and was able to lift it up about 4 inches on the rear but that was it. The smell is definitely coming from underneath the console. I tried my best to clean around it but just don’t have enough room to thoroughly clean it. . Any suggestions on how to remedy this problem?

I called my dealer and they recommended me to contact a professional detailed. My issue with taking this route is that the detailer may not no how to remove the center console to get rid of the smell.

How difficult is it to remove the center console so I can clean the carpet and clean underneath it? So far at this point the only screws I have taking out to lift the console up are the 4 exterior screws on each corner of the console.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

79 300

Reaction score
We had a carton of milk leak in my wife's car and what finally worked was rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle (an old windex bottle will work). It will get in cracks and crevices and will kill the bacteria, which is causing the smell. You will probably need to spray it a few times over several days. If you can get to the carpet that is affected, try spreading some ground coffee on it and let it sit for a day or so, then vacuum it up. The coffee tends to absorb the odors.

dphel27

Reaction score
I was able to remove the center console ( leaving all the electrical connections in tact ) to isolate where the spoiled milk soaked through the carpet. I have an arrow showing the path of where it soaked into the carpet pad, and a rectangle around the affected carpet that still has milk odor.

Anyone know if taking out the two mounting screws for the amp would cause any problems? The most affected area is around the amp and would prefer to move it around so I can thoroughly clean the carpet.

I have also thought about removing the affected carpet since it’s under the seat. But not sure If that’s feasible due to road noise. Also is there a option to patch the affected area with something else?

Lastly I had my truck looked at by a professional detailer. They recommended to have the carpet replaced to eliminate the smell. The tech said that the smell is hard to get out because it got into the carpet pad.

Meanwhile I will try coffee grounds and rubbing alcohol.

Thanks for all the help.

17096764-8D51-4D3E-86C7-0AD3F520526F.jpeg

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was able to remove the center console ( leaving all the electrical connections in tact ) to isolate where the spoiled milk soaked through the carpet. I have an arrow showing the path of where it soaked into the carpet pad, and a rectangle around the affected carpet that still has milk odor.

Anyone know if taking out the two mounting screws for the amp would cause any problems? The most affected area is around the amp and would prefer to move it around so I can thoroughly clean the carpet.

I have also thought about removing the affected carpet since it’s under the seat. But not sure If that’s feasible due to road noise. Also is there a option to patch the affected area with something else?

Lastly I had my truck looked at by a professional detailer. They recommended to have the carpet replaced to eliminate the smell. The tech said that the smell is hard to get out because it got into the carpet pad.

Meanwhile I will try coffee grounds and rubbing alcohol.

Thanks for all the help.

View attachment 35269
i would pull out the drivers seat. Just 4 bolts and a few wire connection under the seat to unplug, You will need an E-torx socket to remove the bolts. Remove them amp then use a wet/dry vac or carpet cleaner if you have one with an enzyme cleaner used for pet "accidents" like natures miracle to shampoo the carpet. Be very liberal with the enzyme cleaner and let it soak into the carpet for a good hour or better so that it can penetrate into the jute padding and break down the bacteria that's causing the smell. After it all dries out sprinkle the area with some baking soda and leave it there for a week or so, then vacuum it all out. You really need to get the console and seat out of the truck to get every area that got soaked with the milk.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
i would pull out the drivers seat. Just 4 bolts and a few wire connection under the seat to unplug, You will need an E-torx socket to remove the bolts. Remove them amp then use a wet/dry vac or carpet cleaner if you have one with an enzyme cleaner used for pet "accidents" like natures miracle to shampoo the carpet. Be very liberal with the enzyme cleaner and let it soak into the carpet for a good hour or better so that it can penetrate into the jute padding and break down the bacteria that's causing the smell. After it all dries out sprinkle the area with some baking soda and leave it there for a week or so, then vacuum it all out. You really need to get the console and seat out of the truck to get every area that got soaked with the milk.
Great tip. If after this the smell lingers, you could always pick up an ozone generator on Amazon for about a $100 which will help remove the foul smell.

dphel27

Reaction score
I’m not sure if I want to tackle this myself.

My dealer just got back with me and recommended having the carpet replaced. He said he’s run into this before and most of the time it’s almost impossible to get the smell out.

I will try to clean it the best I can but will probably get the carpet replaced if the smell persists.

Thank you all for the help.

R

Rob5589

You probably do not need to replace the carpet. Usually the funk gets trapped in the padding beneath the carpet. I'd be looking to replace the pad and shampoo the carpet.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I’m not sure if I want to tackle this myself.

My dealer just got back with me and recommended having the carpet replaced. He said he’s run into this before and most of the time it’s almost impossible to get the smell out.

I will try to clean it the best I can but will probably get the carpet replaced if the smell persists.

Thank you all for the help.
I can almost guarantee you don't have to replace the carpet. A thorough cleaning will take care of it.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Our carpet pad got wet in our basement and had that awful musty smell, even after shampooing professionally. I bought an ozone generator off amazon and it did the trick. Just be careful and make sure house is not occupied, and can then air out before you are in area.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Visit your local pet store or Amazon and get Nature's Miracle Advanced. Note the "Advanced" it is much stronger than the regular Nature's Miracle. Spray the area affected and if milk drained into unreachable places, spray alot so the liquid gets as far as the milk did.

Nature's Miracle Advanced eats proteins and enzymes, the stuff that causes the odor. I have a dog and discovered this stuff years ago. Since, I use it on my boat to get rid of fish smells, blood and stains. It's awesome stuff. If it doesn't get it in one application, I guarantee 2 will do it. After boating 60 stripers and bloody blues one day, the carpet on my boat was a mess! That one took 2 applications but you'd never think the carpet was ever messed up.

Also, it does leave a cleaning odor itself but that will dissipate after a few days or so.

RAMRhode

Reaction score
I have used a product called OdorXit with very good results.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This issue reminds me of an old problem we encountered in my wife's previous vehicle. We have a old school milk store that sells the old glass 2 qt, 64 oz milk bottles. She got all the groceries out of the vehicle except for the milk bottle- allowing it to succumb to the summer heat. The heat, combined with the cold bottle, allowed it to burst and it sat overnight penetrating into the floor board until we found it. I tried basically everything to get the smell out for YEARS without avail. It got down under the carpet and into the floor board and only so much agitation, steamers, commercial suction and chemicals helped. If anyone has experienced this, it is the worst foul odor. You just cannot compare it to anything. The smell got better in the winter months but once it started to warm up with the summer heat, the smell would come back with a vengeance.

OP- it sounds like you did not experience the same amount of spillage and you may be able to get this cleared up but coming from someone with experience with this watch any container with milk in a vehicle. I know I will never let this happen again in one of our vehicles!

dphel27

Reaction score
This issue reminds me of an old problem we encountered in my wife's previous vehicle. We have a old school milk store that sells the old glass 2 qt, 64 oz milk bottles. She got all the groceries out of the vehicle except for the milk bottle- allowing it to succumb to the summer heat. The heat, combined with the cold bottle, allowed it to burst and it sat overnight penetrating into the floor board until we found it. I tried basically everything to get the smell out for YEARS without avail. It got down under the carpet and into the floor board and only so much agitation, steamers, commercial suction and chemicals helped. If anyone has experienced this, it is the worst foul odor. You just cannot compare it to anything. The smell got better in the winter months but once it started to warm up with the summer heat, the smell would come back with a vengeance.

OP- it sounds like you did not experience the same amount of spillage and you may be able to get this cleared up but coming from someone with experience with this watch any container with milk in a vehicle. I know I will never let this happen again in one of our vehicles!

That sounds horrible. I've noticed the smell isn't that bad on the cooler days, but when it heats up it starts smelling quickly. I opted to get the carpet replaced. I tried all the above recommendations and I can still smell the milk. Lesson learned to keep a close eye on milk bottles in the future.

Thanks for your help and advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online