5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to figure out what I'm missing for remote start

darkmage1991

Reaction score
So from the posts I been reading people say to check if you have the wiring under the hood going to the latch, I have that wiring and latch already so I just got a fobik programmed with remote start and tailgate release. The tailgate works but the remote start just causes the truck to honk

How do I figure out what my truck is missing to get the remote start to function as I don't think I need the whole kit.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did you activate the option with ALPHAOBD?

VCONFIG - 1 remote start option

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk

darkmage1991

Reaction score
I did. Before doing that the fob did nothing when you tried the remote start button. But now it honks when you try it. And I seen where someone said you might need to wait awhile but it's been like 16 hours so far and at first the battery was pulled for an hour too since I just installed passive entry which works.

EDIT: someone on reddit told me to try unhooking the battery again for 30m-1hr and see if it would work as all i should of needed was the remote. i did that and remote start didn't work after plugging in the battery initially but tried it about 45min later and it started up. 🤷‍♂️
So if anyone else has this issue i guess either wait longer or maybe do what i did and unhook the battery for a longer period of time then wait a bit.

Last edited:

klemo

Reaction score
There’s a couple of threads on remote start. Make sure you have the correct wiring for the hood latch (as seen in my attached link from my post). All that should be needed after that is the two Alpha OBD codes turned on (one is for the radio controls and is not NEEDED, but nice to have) and the remote itself with remote start. It took me a couple of cycles for the engine for it to work. Luck of the draw sometimes for these BCM changes

Adding OEM Remote Start - Is the Kit Really Needed??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

darkmage1991

Reaction score
There’s a couple of threads on remote start. Make sure you have the correct wiring for the hood latch (as seen in my attached link from my post). All that should be needed after that is the two Alpha OBD codes turned on (one is for the radio controls and is not NEEDED, but nice to have) and the remote itself with remote start. It took me a couple of cycles for the engine for it to work. Luck of the draw sometimes for these BCM changes

Adding OEM Remote Start - Is the Kit Really Needed??

that thread is actually the main thread i read when deciding what i needed. which was correct that i just needed the remote.
though your response in it was 8 hours of wait time and that definitely wasnt enough for mine. the time it was for me appears to have been much longer OR it was unplugging the battery for an hour then waiting that did it, not sure which though im sure just waiting would of done it but just not sure how long i would have had to wait.

klemo

Reaction score
Ok glad it worked out. Yeah idk if 8 hours was true. Just about the time it took for me. Also I have non-nab, which I’ve heard sometimes makes those processes go by faster

Users who are viewing this thread