5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to disable A/C when not on defrost?

thermorex

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I was wondering if there is a way to disable the AC while not in defrost/any windshield blower/fan mode on the 12 inch UConnect system. Don't know how to phrase this better than through an example: I am driving and outside is in the 70s, and I have the temp inside the truck on both zones set in sync and at 68F. I want to stop the AC and let the blower push outside temperature air (70s in the current example), without using the air conditioning unit at all. Also, for the sake of example I am directing the fan on the feet or chest (not windshield - so there is no need for AC override). I have a 2015 Ecodiesel which has the 8.4 inch UConnect (single zone not dual) and in the current example, the AC does not engage. I have tried to also activate in cabin air re-circulation to no effect. I didn't find any settings to disable the AC either, so the only choice would be to ask the dealer, which I'd rather not waste the time with, or ask for some forum wisdom.

The reason I'd like to stop the AC is on one side the lack of comfort (truck is blowing cold air to cool, then regular air to maintain - this cold/warmer air is uncomfortable for me) and the other side the annoyance factor for constantly having to adjust the inside temperature to prevent AC from engaging.

Thanks a lot!

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You could do two things. You could raise the desired set temperature, or, you can press the A/C button directly above the recirculate button to shut it off. If you are not using the Auto setting, the A/C light will be on when the A/C is set to on, and will be off when the A/C is set to (you guessed it) off. When the climate control is set to Auto, you do not get to decide the A/C usage, fan speed, or vent mix. However, when not using Auto, you are in control of all of those things, and by the context clues in your post, I know you're setting the vents to the floor. Either I'm seriously confused by your question, or you're just not pushing the button labeled for exactly what you want...

thermorex

Reaction score
You could do two things. You could raise the desired set temperature, or, you can press the A/C button directly above the recirculate button to shut it off. If you are not using the Auto setting, the A/C light will be on when the A/C is set to on, and will be off when the A/C is set to (you guessed it) off. When the climate control is set to Auto, you do not get to decide the A/C usage, fan speed, or vent mix. However, when not using Auto, you are in control of all of those things, and by the context clues in your post, I know you're setting the vents to the floor. Either I'm seriously confused by your question, or you're just not pushing the button labeled for exactly what you want...
Thanks for answering. I find it a bit awkward also, it is not on Auto, the AC led is off (so AC doesn't look to be running), yet it blows much colder air than the outside one. It isn't doing it all the time though, which makes it weird. I had vehicles in the past with dual AC zone and all of them could have the AC overridden. I am not sure if this is a glitch or I am going nuts, but at least I have a confirmation from you regarding how it is supposed to work, so I will keep monitoring it and if it looks it isn't working properly, as much as I hate it, I'll go to the dealer...

echristi

Reaction score
I noticed this the other day also. It was a bit damp out, and the AC cycled on a few times. I could feel the air get (significantly) colder and then return to ambient/expected temperature intermittently. I had the truck set to blow on the vent setting, 70 degrees for both driver and passenger, A/C button disengaged and Auto not engaged.

Users who are viewing this thread