5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How screwed am I?

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Basically same hitch, there is a long drawn out backstory on the facebook groups. Both are well made and worth every penny. You cant sway a trailer if you tried

I will google it I guess (not going to use Facebook without protection and it just isn't worth going there). More curious than anything else, I'm seriously considering one of these hitches as well.

Seadoorxpguy

Reaction score
I forgot to add i also upgraded the hitch on the truck. The factory one looked like it was made from old swing set pipes

silver billet

Reaction score
I forgot to add i also upgraded the hitch on the truck. The factory one looked like it was made from old swing set pipes

Oh boy, another thing to check out on my truck ... .. To be honest I'm well under the factory rating and I haven't heard anybody actually damaging their hitches on either 4th or 5th gen trucks so I'll probably leave well enough alone.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I hate to admit this but I'm well over my payload whenever I set out on a trip. But I'm stuck with the truck and had to make due. My payload is under 1400 lbs. My camper pin weight is around 1100, plus my Hensley on paper I'm not even allowed to sit in the truck. My truck pulls and stops completely fine. Id say if you already have the truck and the camper and cannot upgrade do everything you can to make it safer.
That's the problem though right? Your truck can handle it, but can it handle it for 2, 3, 10 years? If you're in a wreck that's not your fault, but you're over the "stated capacities" for the truck, you're going to be in for a rough time if someone does some digging and finds out.

Every time I see a half ton truck pulling a giant, 30+ foot trailer I sit there doing the math for how over payload they are.

I'm in the same boat every now and then, although my truck is more used for hauling than towing. I won't hesitate to put a yard of wet dirt in the bed, or a pallet of sod, or 2000 pounds of concrete or stone, but I know when I'm driving with it loaded like that it's not just me I'm potentially putting in danger.

silver billet

Reaction score
To me it looks like you would have a hard time backing that truck into the hitch if the front of the truck is on a steep-ish hill/valley. I can see that it swivels horizontally which is great, but vertically, I'm not so sure how much of an angle the front of the truck could be on before it doesn't slide in?

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To me it looks like you would have a hard time backing that truck into the hitch if the front of the truck is on a steep-ish hill/valley. I can see that it swivels horizontally which is great, but vertically, I'm not so sure how much of an angle the front of the truck could be on before it doesn't slide in?
If you unhook your hitch on a steep hill, you get what is coming to you.

Seadoorxpguy

Reaction score
I’ve unhooked and hooked it back up when the truck was on a pretty decent grade difference. Didn’t have a choice. The camp site was a lot lower than the driveway. Hooked up without a issue.

silver billet

Reaction score
If you unhook your hitch on a steep hill, you get what is coming to you.

Not at all. I do it all the time where it sits over the winter, some tight corners and grassy hills get in the way. In my case the trailer is 100% level, but when I'm hooking up or disconnecting the front of my truck is sitting on the grass on a landscaped hill pointing at the sky.

You're imagining me sitting on the edge of a mountainside just randomly unhooking or something and watching my trailer free fall down the slope, in that case the truck would actually be level WRT the trailer, and both would be on the same grade/slope. That's not my question. My question is when the trailer and truck are on different grades, think small hills which force the trailer and truck to be on somewhat different slopes. If you've ever towed more than a few times you'll know what I mean, you don't always get to pick a perfect spot to sit and (dis)connect.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread