5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How it's calculated

yrralguthrie

Reaction score
This is sort of a "I think" post. Just asking for comments.
Observing the miles per gallon indicator on the dash it changes easily. Since I have not reset the indication for several thousand miles the mpg indicated changes too much for the calculation to be total miles and total gallons used. So evidently it is calculating the mpg on the last few miles driven. Doing that it may be an accurate indication. This limited calculation is not going to include any stops and idles, which of course decreases the actual total mpg. I'm wondering why it was designed that way.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is sort of a "I think" post. Just asking for comments.
Observing the miles per gallon indicator on the dash it changes easily. Since I have not reset the indication for several thousand miles the mpg indicated changes too much for the calculation to be total miles and total gallons used. So evidently it is calculating the mpg on the last few miles driven. Doing that it may be an accurate indication. This limited calculation is not going to include any stops and idles, which of course decreases the actual total mpg. I'm wondering why it was designed that way.
It definitely uses idle time in its calculations. Based on injector pulsewidth, and pretty much every engine sensor, as well and engine load and RPM

Users who are viewing this thread