5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I get rid of...

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Frogs all over my patio during the summer in our newly built home. It's our 2nd Summer here and I have to wash my patio down every other day because of frog poop. Ive tried vinegar and bleach to deter them but it doesn't work and only deters my family. I resorted to murder death kill but that gets old because I have to dispose of them as well. I also have a 4 month old labrador/border collie who manages to find dead frogs in the yard so I'm constantly pulling tiny amphibian carcasses out of his mouth. That's not fun either.

My wife is terrified of frogs too. I mean for real. She called the neighbor one day when I was at work because one was on the front door. The neighbor came over and cleared the way for her. It's that bad for my wife.

Any homemade suggestions?

Kicker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don't know much about frogs but this works great on spiders.
You must live by a body of water, I think you will have to get use to them.

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have giant wolf spiders too. They're so big they hop when they attack! That should come in handy.

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have giant wolf spiders too. They're so big they hop when they attack! That should come in handy.
We had a female wolf spider on our back porch. They are creepy af. The females carry the young on their back. When you spray them with bug spray the young scatter in all directions. If you don't know this ahead of time (my wife didn't), it scares the bejeezus out of you. Wait and eventually the baby spiders come back to the momma and then die from the excess spray. I'd think with that many frogs, your yard should be bug free. Good luck.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Frogs, eh? Vinegar and coffee grounds are the usual home remedies, and there are commercially produced chemical brews for frogs and toads.

So why is your wife so afraid of frogs? They don't have teeth, and they eat insects which is generally considered a good thing. I think I'd be more worried about iguanas and rabbit-sized ****roaches and some of the other things y'all have down there.

If she's afraid of frogs, she probably wouldn't like their natural predators (snakes), so I won't recommend that. You may already have those, anyway.

Another possible angle is what's attracting the frogs? I think they like damp, dark, and insects to feed on. Maybe minimizing or eliminating those things would help.

Good luck!

Snekpete

Reaction score
Two good repellants:

1) Irish Spring soap, grated and distributed.
2) One gallon water, a cup of castor oil and a teaspoon of laundry detergent. Mix and spray.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Our house has a pond 2 houses down as well as just a natural ditch/dry creek behind our fence. Thousands of frogs every year, and I've seen tadpoles as big as golf balls. As much as they can be annoying we've learned to live with them as ponds bring mosquitoes. We have a bug trap in the back yard and you'll see 20-30 of them sitting around it at night.

The Irish Spring soap has worked for us, but we get enough rain on our porch that it was just a soapy mess sometimes.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
a few days ago, I torched one with my map gas turbo torch after it jumped on my shoe. I didn’t feel bad about it at all.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Another possible angle is what's attracting the frogs? I think they like damp, dark, and insects to feed on. Maybe minimizing or eliminating those things would help.

Good luck!
He lives in FL! There is no such thing as minimizing damp, dark, and insects. :ROFLMAO:

There are multiple frog types that you'll see here. You get the big fat toads that come out at night and hop across the road, sidewalks and driveways, leaving their "trail". And, you'll see the tree frogs that make tons of noise, will stick to your patio windows, or wedge themselves between the door and door frame. There really isn't a way to get rid of them, especially if you have trees!

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Tree frogs mostly but fat toads too. I recently purchased a glade automatic air freshener and loaded it with country vet insect spray. Set timer to every 18 mins. Reduced insect population on the patio, especially at night, and seems to help a bit with the frogs. Trying to keep the lights off at night as well but one must live life.

One got in the house Tuesday night literally rode the dog's harness in. My wife freaked lol. It was a baby though. Dog grabbed it then I got it from him. Fun stuff!

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
He lives in FL! There is no such thing as minimizing damp, dark, and insects. :ROFLMAO:

There are multiple frog types that you'll see here. You get the big fat toads that come out at night and hop across the road, sidewalks and driveways, leaving their "trail". And, you'll see the tree frogs that make tons of noise, will stick to your patio windows, or wedge themselves between the door and door frame. There really isn't a way to get rid of them, especially if you have trees!
My favorite is in the lawn chair cracks and crevices. You don't know they're until you do!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread