5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hk overhaul and replacement

Monkeyskin

Reaction score
To start-
Added a modded SKAR Audio sealed box under the rear seat holding 2 L7T Kicker 12's powered by a 46CXA1200.1 and a Boss audio 18 farad cap. Did the big 3 upgrade and went 47kss replacements everywhere else ( 5 x 3.5 dash and rear headliner, 6.5 and tweets front and 6x9's back doors). Pac audio aph ch03 in place to t-tap the sub which is still active.

Intention is to swap the HK sub for a comp rt 10 4 ohm to pick up the faster bass of rock and country tunes. I listen to everything from pure bass to 80's/90's rock/pop/hip hop to metal and country. I am a child of the 80's and 90's and like my music loud.

Now that's out of the way I need to know how to make bon jovi and dr dre work with a kicker bass knob.

Monkeyskin

Reaction score
Oh and George strait fyi. I know I'm asking a lot but now I believe the bass is way overpowered even though the crutchfield rep assured me the factory replacements with kicker would be fine. It's not. I am thinking a dsp and a factory amp replacement is in order but I need to question how to compensate. These L7T's are ferocious.

rburt0919

Reaction score
Oh and George strait fyi. I know I'm asking a lot but now I believe the bass is way overpowered even though the crutchfield rep assured me the factory replacements with kicker would be fine. It's not. I am thinking a dsp and a factory amp replacement is in order but I need to question how to compensate. These L7T's are ferocious.
Quick question, is your truck equipped with eTourque?

smashweights

Reaction score
You put two 12" subs inside your cab and are surprised the bass is overpowered? Why not send one of the subs back instead of spending more money toning them down?

Monkeyskin

Reaction score
Not surprised at all actually. If I somehow impressed that, I apologize. My desire is to upgrade the stock amplifier and integrate a dsp to be able to tune the bass level by the genre I would like to hear. One of which is bass focused. I was incorrectly led to believe by a crutchfield rep that the stock amplifier would be sufficient with the replacement of the stock speakers. In her defense I dont believe either of us knew just how powerful these subs actually were. I was expecting a significant increase which is why I asked to begin with.

The question here is what amp and dsp combination would suffice to replace the stock. Not only that but information on how to do it. I have also read that the factory amp is "tunable" to some extent, though I'm not sure it will be enough. Thanks in advance for any responses.

Brunzca

Reaction score
Not surprised at all actually. If I somehow impressed that, I apologize. My desire is to upgrade the stock amplifier and integrate a dsp to be able to tune the bass level by the genre I would like to hear. One of which is bass focused. I was incorrectly led to believe by a crutchfield rep that the stock amplifier would be sufficient with the replacement of the stock speakers. In her defense I dont believe either of us knew just how powerful these subs actually were. I was expecting a significant increase which is why I asked to begin with.

The question here is what amp and dsp combination would suffice to replace the stock. Not only that but information on how to do it. I have also read that the factory amp is "tunable" to some extent, though I'm not sure it will be enough. Thanks in advance for any responses.
the Helix V8 or v12. Combo DSP/Amp, with what many think is the best software on the market. Then you only need to buy/install one unit

Users who are viewing this thread