5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Here Is Why Ram’s Multifunction Tailgate Is Awesome!

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Here Is Why Ram’s Multifunction Tailgate Is Awesome!​

One Of The Ram 1500's Most Useful Functions...​

1687894611282.png

As the Editor of 5thGenRams.com, I have had the opportunity to thoroughly test and evaluate the fifth-generation Ram 1500, a truck that continues to impress with its array of remarkable features. Among these, the multifunction tailgate stands out as a game-changer for truck owners who prioritize practicality and hauling capabilities.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
MFT and Rambox as shown in that pic is the most versatile pickup bed ever. As long as you don't need to use a cap LOL.

O'Town Ram

I know less and less about more and more
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Love the MFT on my new limited. So much more useful than the design of the Multipro on my previous GMC.

Papi4baby

Reaction score
Your comment on the mopar soft tonneau cover is wrong.

Is not the MFG that’s the problem with it, it’s the Ram box design.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Your comment on the mopar soft tonneau cover is wrong.

Is not the MFG that’s the problem with it, it’s the Ram box design.
Agree to disagree. I agree with the author of the article. My wife and I both hated the tri-fold that came with the truck, and promptly switched it out in the first week we owned it. The Rambox is the biggest reason we stick with Ram trucks and there are plenty of covers that work with it.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Agree to disagree. I agree with the author of the article. My wife and I both hated the tri-fold that came with the truck, and promptly switched it out in the first week we owned it. The Rambox is the biggest reason we stick with Ram trucks and there are plenty of covers that work with it.
My soft cover was perfect, if that's what you're into.
Somehow it was waterproof as in not a single drop of water would get into the bed.
Only reason I replaced it was because someone could cut it to get in, it really was nice imo.

The real problem with the ramboxes/cover is the black rails which need to be replaced for any other cover, there's no reason for the black rambox rails to exist.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you for the coverage of the MFT, you mentioned all of the things I love about mine. My 2020 MFT is the best $995US I've ever spent.
The ability to swing open the left side and use the dropped center section of the rear bumper as a step, and placing one's left hand on the open gate to steady oneself and help pull oneself up into the bed makes getting into and out of the bed WAY easier, more safely and with less strain on knee joints & lower back than any of the other bed steps I've ever used. It's a fluid, fast, one-step process - not multiple steps like deploying either Ford's or GM's tailgate step solution.
GM's corner steps are truly a great idea, kudos to GM for that innovation, but they're most useful only when the tailgate is up. I'll take Ram's MFT over anything either Ford or GM offer today.
Slightly off-topic, but are their any Ram insiders here who know why Ram never implemented "Ram Ramps" that Ram patented back in 2015? (see image pasted herein)
Ram-Ramps-patent.jpg
Ram Patents Retractable Pickup-Truck Bed Ramps

Papi4baby

Reaction score
My soft cover was perfect, if that's what you're into.
Somehow it was waterproof as in not a single drop of water would get into the bed.
Only reason I replaced it was because someone could cut it to get in, it really was nice imo.

The real problem with the ramboxes/cover is the black rails which need to be replaced for any other cover, there's no reason for the black rambox rails to exist.
My factory soft tri fold has also been pretty much water proof.

I do not have the ram boxes.

lost demon

Reaction score
reply to RAM GURU. If you read the description you posted with your question it is evident that once you placed your quad or lawn mower in the bed the loaded object would almost certainly be in the way of the retraction process. Only way around it is to make the ramps removable, kinda defeats the purpose

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
reply to RAM GURU. If you read the description you posted with your question it is evident that once you placed your quad or lawn mower in the bed the loaded object would almost certainly be in the way of the retraction process. Only way around it is to make the ramps removable, kinda defeats the purpose
I agree, and from the first time I laid eyes on that patent drawing, I thought to myself the ramps should have been in longitudinal pockets completely underneath the bed floor. I guess maybe that's why Ram never went forward with it, i.e. they patented a less-than-ideal design in the first place.
UPDATE: Upon giving the patent a cursory look, it appears Ram realized that the ramps probably needed to be below the bed surface to avoid the interference you mentioned:
"The ramp system of claim 1, wherein the bed and longitudinal tailgate tracks are recessed relative to a bottom Surface of the bed and tailgate channels, respectively, and wherein the track members extend below the bottom surface of the bed and tailgate channels to slidably engage the bed and longitudinal tailgate tracks. "
Which is an improvement, but IMO the ramps should have been stowed completely below the bed floor in separate pockets slung immediately underneath the bed floor.
Still, I wish Ram had been able to work through the details and come out with a "Ram Ramps" option, it's something I could use and would love to have in addition to my MFT.
(BTW, "ram guru" is not me - that's something the 5thgenrams website automatically generates after a given number of posts and reactions. I'm "go-ram".)

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I agree, and from the first time I laid eyes on that patent drawing, I thought to myself the ramps should have been in longitudinal pockets completely underneath the bed floor. I guess maybe that's why Ram never went forward with it, i.e. they patented a less-than-ideal design in the first place.
Still, I wish Ram had been able to work through the details and come out with a "Ram Ramps" option, it's something I could use and would love to have in addition to my MFT.
I mean, if you find the right fabricator in your area, I'm sure they could make something do to what you want. You would most definitely have to relocate the spare tire, or have it hang lower to clear the "pockets" for the ramps. Which would reduce rear clearance, and make the tire more visible.

Threesuns1

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Another issue would be the different widths of different pieces of equipment needed to be loaded with the ramps. My snow blower and rototiller, have different wheel widths than my mower and four wheeler.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Another issue would be the different widths of different pieces of equipment needed to be loaded with the ramps. My snow blower and rototiller, have different wheel widths than my mower and four wheeler.
Ram has that issue completely covered in their patent. At the top of the tailgate is a lateral "track", and the ends of the ramps have "hooks" that engage the lateral track, so the user can set the ramps at any width desired, within the confines of the tailgate-width lateral track. See patent figures 6, 7, 8 in PDF at link below.
https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/ce/b7/da/1887ee26ba8b39/US9067525.pdf

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I mean, if you find the right fabricator in your area, I'm sure they could make something do to what you want. You would most definitely have to relocate the spare tire, or have it hang lower to clear the "pockets" for the ramps. Which would reduce rear clearance, and make the tire more visible.
True, but one would still need the "lateral tracks" at the back edge of the bed and the inner top edge of the tailgate as places for the ramps to hook when fully extended. See patent figures 6, 7, 8: https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/ce/b7/da/1887ee26ba8b39/US9067525.pdf

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread