5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

hemi sounds wrong

ramffml

Reaction score
Does this sound normal to you guys? (the video/link below has sound, have to click the little sound icon to turn it on). The sound I'm referring to is like a dry, raspy, airy sound. It doesn't every go away, but gets worse under load, climbing up a hill with rocks on the side really makes that sound noticable, but I can hear it in the middle of an empty road too when I start driving from a stop.

Brand new engine, think the sound was there pretty much from the beginning but only really noticed it when going up a hill recently, but now I can't unhear it and hear it all time.

https://gfycat.com/halfdeliciousantarcticfurseal

ramffml

Reaction score
To me it sounds like something is dry or not getting lubricated, I don't think that's normal as I've never heard that in any newish engine before. Old beaters going down the road, sure, but not a brand new engine.

(When I wear headphones the sound comes through the video a little more clear.)

RichInMN

Reaction score
I think they all sound that way - certainly mine does. I really don't get it, it must be a side-effect of some engineering decision.

Bigjb1987

Reaction score
I wonder if it could be bad lifters or springs, mine was in the shop for 19 days before they found a cracked spring and bent pushrod on a 1200 mile engine. I never noticed any weird sounds tho.

Bakefootball

Reaction score
Join the club... mines was in the for several months total, changed multiple parts, now they’re calling it “normal”. Not happy at all.

Bigjb1987

Reaction score
Join the club... mines was in the for several months total, changed multiple parts, now they’re calling it “normal”. Not happy at all.

What about lemon law? I’m pissed and it was only19 days 11 more days in total shop time in ca and she’s a goner.

U

User_3336

I didn't hear anythng "abnormal".... Sounds about like mine on a startup. I can't imagine trying to explain that to a service advisor. :-(

Users who are viewing this thread