5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hemi dipstick accuracy?

skidmarc

Reaction score
Hi all - I know there are lots of threads like this on other Hemi 5.7 boards across the 'net, but I don't see a lot of info or opinions on our DT trucks.

Are the dipsticks on our 5.7's accurate?

I picked up a used 2020 Rebel - 5.7, non-etorque. It had it's oil changed before I picked it up. Going through the truck, I noticed the oil the level was about 1/2" above the hash marks and basically at the 1st kink up from the bottom. Mulled over what to do. Ended up draining some oil to bring it down to the top of the hash marks. I had to drain about 3/4 of a quart. That amount got me thinking about it from the other side of the fence -- if the dipstick is inaccurate, that's precariously close to being a "quart low".

So here I am, looking for real world experience with dipstick accuracy. Do our trucks tend to read too high, too low, or just right?

2wd

Reaction score
I find it to be accurate. I keep mine between the half full and full mark. I've owned mine since new and done 2 oil changes so far.

One thing I've noticed is the Manual indicates it's a 7 qt oil change. However, I always can only drain between 6.5-6.7 quarts out. When I refill I also use that amount to reach full levels.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
The problem is you don't know who changed the oil last. Could be some kid who just got hired.

From my time working at a dealership, I can tell you that the overhead oil dispenser guns are not always accurate. If the guy using it hasn't figured out that his is and by how much, he's going to add too much oil. I can also tell you that what happens a lot is that they add the right amount, start it up and check that the filter doesn't leak, and then recheck the level. But they recheck it too soon, way too soon. There's a lot of oil up in the heads that takes time to drain back. So it looks half a quart low and they top it off. And ten minutes later it reads over full.

I'd trust the dipstick unless you have some reason not to, like it's some aftermarket thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/