5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help!

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Used remote start before heading to get the kiddos from school came out and seen an unusual amount of water on the ground. As I got closer I seen it was orange in color, crawled under and it’s dripping from oil pan but seems to be coming from behind the pulley in the video which I am guessing is the water pump.

Question #1 how easy is it to change this w/o any special tools. ( I’m just a simple DIY man)

Question #2 are there any brands I need to steer clear of when purchasing replacement parts to perform the fix.

Thank you in advance!

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Used remote start before heading to get the kiddos from school came out and seen an unusual amount of water on the ground. As I got closer I seen it was orange in color, crawled under and it’s dripping from oil pan but seems to be coming from behind the pulley in the video which I am guessing is the water pump.

Question #1 how easy is it to change this w/o any special tools. ( I’m just a simple DIY man)

Question #2 are there any brands I need to steer clear of when purchasing replacement parts to perform the fix.

Thank you in advance!

Never changed one, but make sure you get new, not reman. And don't mix antifreeze types. Check Youtube for info about doing it.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Never changed one, but make sure you get new, not reman. And don't mix antifreeze types. Check Youtube for info about doing it.
I just got back from picking up my kids and it’s at operating temp and no more dripping/leaking???

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I just got back from picking up my kids and it’s at operating temp and no more dripping/leaking???
I have seen them leak and not leak under different conditions. Things grow and shrink with temperature. Some only leak while running, and some only when not. The way it dripped in your video, something is leaking.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
bad timing with the strike, parts shortages are worst now. You may want to try ebay and other places - some mopar direct stores have listing there for new pumps - just double check your part number.
I would believe you don't need special tools - not that is a good comparison but I have done replacements on an older cherokee and it was super easy.
Perhaps @Cbty2050 can share some feedback on difficulty level and tools needed
For your reference check this tread, 1st page only - a member paid $900 at dealer a few months back

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
One in stock at the moment, might go fast. Check fitment with VIN.
As far as replacing it, should not be too difficult. I would check for you-tube videos on how to do it.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
bad timing with the strike, parts shortages are worst now. You may want to try ebay and other places - some mopar direct stores have listing there for new pumps - just double check your part number.
I would believe you don't need special tools - not that is a good comparison but I have done replacements on an older cherokee and it was super easy.
Perhaps @Cbty2050 can share some feedback on difficulty level and tools needed
For your reference check this tread, 1st page only - a member paid $900 at dealer a few months back

One in stock at the moment, might go fast. Check fitment with VIN.
As far as replacing it, should not be too difficult. I would check for you-tube videos on how to do it.
Thanks for the help and advice. I had totally forgot I bought an extended warranty. Checked the paper work and this repair should be covered.

Users who are viewing this thread