5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with handling/suspension suggestions

southbound1

Reaction score
Have 2020 Ram 1500 CC. All factory stock, no additions. Just put on 295/70 R18 Cooper AT3 XLT tires (after a ton of research and feedback here). While tire is aggressive it rides like the old Copper AT3 with regard to noise and chatter. Overall handing is good until 70-75mph on our wonderful PA highways. I’ve lost control few times recently on turns with potholes and bridge abutments with chop. Rear end all over the place. I had a really bouncy ride on factory tires (crappy Wranglers) but also know suspension needs to break in and no weight in the back. Went with new Coppers as noted above and don’t think that is the cause but now really concerned about highway speeds above 75. Have tried sandbags, lower PSI, etc. Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 97CB9102-AF2F-4C93-942F-F6C4BA5EDAA9.jpeg
    97CB9102-AF2F-4C93-942F-F6C4BA5EDAA9.jpeg
    203.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 1132905B-7269-470B-A52A-2849338F80EA.jpeg
    1132905B-7269-470B-A52A-2849338F80EA.jpeg
    161.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 691B388D-7782-47B4-8DFC-8A83AE9E51EF.jpeg
    691B388D-7782-47B4-8DFC-8A83AE9E51EF.jpeg
    184.3 KB · Views: 37

dwalme

Reaction score
You can try the hellwig sway bar and different rear shocks. I run Bilstein 5160s on mine and I prefer the ride, handling, and control compared to the factory rear shocks. (I run 6112s in the front but the 5100 is also popular and a bit less expensive.)

There's only so much you can do if in 2WD with a light empty bed. You may need to temper expectations.

popstatwo

Reaction score
Have 2020 Ram 1500 CC. All factory stock, no additions. Just put on 295/70 R18 Cooper AT3 XLT tires (after a ton of research and feedback here). While tire is aggressive it rides like the old Copper AT3 with regard to noise and chatter. Overall handing is good until 70-75mph on our wonderful PA highways. I’ve lost control few times recently on turns with potholes and bridge abutments with chop. Rear end all over the place. I had a really bouncy ride on factory tires (crappy Wranglers) but also know suspension needs to break in and no weight in the back. Went with new Coppers as noted above and don’t think that is the cause but now really concerned about highway speeds above 75. Have tried sandbags, lower PSI, etc. Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated.
Hellwig swaybar for sure. I also have a brand new in the box set of bilstein 5100 if you're interested

cervelo15

Reaction score
+1 for Hellwig.....put mine on several months ago and night and day difference. I run mine in the middle hole/setting.....I also plan to upgrade sway bar links....i have heard the stock ones are also a weak point, so beefing up the links could only make it better.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm about to install a Hellwig sway bar. Any reason I can't put the truck in Off Road 2 to give myself more room underneath while working?

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm about to install a Hellwig sway bar. Any reason I can't put the truck in Off Road 2 to give myself more room underneath while working?
It shouldn't matter as long as the rear of the truck is on a flat level spot so there isn't any tension on the sway bar.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It shouldn't matter as long as the rear of the truck is on a flat level spot so there isn't any tension on the sway bar.
Thanks. I noticed the middle hole on the Hellwig seems a little smaller than the others. Is that normal?

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think mine are drilled out all the same. Let me take a quick look though. Is that the setting you are going to use? I would also say as long as the sway bar end link fits inside that hole you are good, but they should have been drilled out the same size!

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think mine are drilled out all the same. Let me take a quick look though. Is that the setting you are going to use? I would also say as long as the sway bar end link fits inside that hole you are good, but they should have been drilled out the same size!
Everyone seems to like the middle setting so I was gonna try it. I put it on the outer holes for now, which is actually what the installation instructions recommend.

It could be that I like this setting just fine.

dwalme

Reaction score
Everyone seems to like the middle setting so I was gonna try it. I put it on the outer holes for now, which is actually what the installation instructions recommend.

It could be that I like this setting just fine.

Outer holes are roughly equivalent to the factory bar.

southbound1

Reaction score
You can try the hellwig sway bar and different rear shocks. I run Bilstein 5160s on mine and I prefer the ride, handling, and control compared to the factory rear shocks. (I run 6112s in the front but the 5100 is also popular and a bit less expensive.)

There's only so much you can do if in 2WD with a light empty bed. You may need to temper expectations.
Thanks for suggestions and agree on expectations on light bed. I’m coming from a 2014 Ram and just experiencing a much bouncy ride with some sway especially at hog speeds. Do you know what model Hellwig specifically and if other parts recommended? I don’t want to add any lift (the 297/70’s give me that) so you think just adding the Bilstein 5100’s to rear would help?

Users who are viewing this thread