5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with build

Philth

Reaction score
Hey all. Been registered a while but now actively close to build.
Im about to purchase a 2023 Limited 5.7L with eTourque for about $10K under MSRP. I'm building mine out so want your opinions, please.

I will be towing my Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (I'm guessing about 7,500 lbs w/trailer) to/from the track a few times a year and no other towing. All other driving will be to/from work. I'm definitely ordering Night Edition with Limited Level 1 group. That being said:

3.21 or 3.92 gears?
Locking differential?
What size tank?
Bed utility group worth it?

Thanks in advance!

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You'll get lots of opinions for sure - here's my 2 cents from 4.5 years owning a 5thgen:

Assuming your trip to the track is not super far and not in the mountains you will be fine with 3.21 rear but the 3.92 will give better accel and higher overall rating. I have had 3.21 in my last 2 trucks but ordered 3.92 this time just because I might want the extra towing once in awhile or a little more getup for fun... probably sacrifice some mpg but I don't put on a lot of miles so not a big hit likely.

locking diff really only matters for of-roading, I've had open diff and anti-slip and both were the same in my use for light off-roading and 2wd in MN winters as auto 4wd and the trucks computer more than get the job done.

I always get the 26gal tank but if I did regular long distance trips might go to 33

BUG is a pretty good deal but not worth it to me as I prefer to install a bedrug

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Im about to purchase a 2023 Limited 5.7L with eTourque for about $10K under MSRP. I'm building mine out so want your opinions, please.

I will be towing my Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (I'm guessing about 7,500 lbs w/trailer) to/from the track a few times a year and no other towing. All other driving will be to/from work. I'm definitely ordering Night Edition with Limited Level 1 group. That being said:

3.21 or 3.92 gears?
Locking differential?
What size tank?

Thanks in advance!
Either gear will do, but that heavy, I would go 3.91. No locking dif, but limited slip is not necessary either, but nice to have. Tank is nice to have larger, to not fill as often. People complain about cost to fill, but it's pay now or pay later, and I like to make less stops. I like the bed group, not as much for the tie downs, which can be useful, but for the divider, that becomes a bed extension also, although you do have to buy the attach points.

Philth

Reaction score
You'll get lots of opinions for sure - here's my 2 cents from 4.5 years owning a 5thgen:

Assuming your trip to the track is not super far and not in the mountains you will be fine with 3.21 rear but the 3.92 will give better accel and higher overall rating. I have had 3.21 in my last 2 trucks but ordered 3.92 this time just because I might want the extra towing once in awhile or a little more getup for fun... probably sacrifice some mpg but I don't put on a lot of miles so not a big hit likely.

locking diff really only matters for of-roading, I've had open diff and anti-slip and both were the same in my use for light off-roading and 2wd in MN winters as auto 4wd and the trucks computer more than get the job done.

I always get the 26gal tank but if I did regular long distance trips might go to 33

BUG is a pretty good deal but not worth it to me as I prefer to install a bedrug
Thanks. What would you say the MPG difference between the 3.21 and 3.92 is?

6of36

Reaction score
Thanks. What would you say the MPG difference between the 3.21 and 3.92 is?
There is a thread on here. The difference is not that much from what I remember. By math it's 18%, but I believe it really made a difference of 1-2 mpg.

Jako

Reaction score
I did not order the BUG and later installed a bed step and rails along with my own LED lighting. I prefer my lighting set up to the OEM but that took time and not too many dollars. Don't have a need for the spray in bed liner and never had one in my 2001 which is still in service.
With that being said I think the BUG is a good deal and would have ordered if I knew the value or had a salesman that knew the options and conveyed that to me.

Richard320

Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
3.21 or 3.92 gears? That's personal preference. If you do a lot of city driving, you probably won't see any difference. If you do a lot of sustained high speed driving, then the 3.21s may have an edge. May. If you ever plan to put bigger, heavier tires on, go lower. But realistically, your right foot will have more impact on fuel economy than the rear end gears.

Locking differential? I have limited slip. Never notice it.

What size tank? Bigger is better. If you're pulling some weight and your mpg is down in single digits, that extra seven gallons will be reassuring. I bought off the lot, so I have 26 gallons, but I would have ordered the 33.

Bed utility group worth it? I wouldn't have ordered it, but my truck came with it and now I'm glad I have it. I don't worry about scratching up the bed and giving rust a start and there are the tiedowns, plus the bed lighting is already installed.

6of36

Reaction score

3.21 or 3.92 gears?
Locking differential?
What size tank?

Thanks in advance!
I forgot about the bed lights. That alone is worth the bed group. It sucks having a tonneau cover without lights. They can be added, but it's expensive and a lot of work, involving re-pinning your BCM.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

3.21 or 3.92 gears?
Locking differential?
What size tank?

Thanks in advance!
3.92 gears for sure
If it's a choice between locking diff or limited slip, get limited slip. The locking diff only works below 25mph, where as limited slip is always there
I have 26 gallon tank. If you aren't towing long distances, I dont see the need for larger.
If you aren't hauling stuff in the bed that you need the tie downs for, I don't see the need for it. Get a spray in bed liner done.
Get the bed step

Users who are viewing this thread