5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help Newbie with new off road tires, leveling kit/lift, spacers, step side, etc.

theblakester

Reaction score
Hey guys, proud new owner of my first full sized pick up here in Houston, Tx. 2020 Ram 1500 LoneStar/BigHorn V8 5.7L Hemi crew cab 4x4 that has the “Off-Road Group” (which is what the MSRP sticker calls it), 20”x9” aluminum chrome clad wheels, trailer brake control, and Big Horn Level 1 Equipment Group.

I’m looking to put bigger tires on it that will preform well on the road and off road in some potentially muddy situations. I don’t plan on going mudding for fun, but I do eradicate feral hogs and coyotes on several properties at night and will use 4 wheel drive sometimes in those muddy situations. I also don’t want to hydroplane on the freeway as I live in Houston, and we get a lot of rain down here. I don’t want any rubbing and still want a relatively smooth ride on the road. I’m not looking to break the bank, but I’m definitely not looking to take any shortcuts or go cheap to “make it work” just to have something break on me later. Anything else I’m forgetting that I should consider or factor in. I’d rather buy once, cry once and get this right on the first go round.

I’m thinking I can keep the 20” wheels that came with the truck, and powder coat them black later. Any compatibility issues there? Im not overly worried about the looks of the wheels and more concerned with compatibility and performance and ride.

From what I’ve read, the Billstein leveling kit and 12.5” x 35” Nitto Ridge Grapplers might work well. Will that fit? Do I need an additional lift or an actual lift kit instead? Not sure about spacers or even how exactly they work. I do like wider looking tires, but don’t want that look where the tires stick out really far from the sides of the truck, but I don’t want that tall, skinny look either. I also don’t want the tires to look like stretched out rubber bands on the wheels. I’m open to suggestions and anything to get me pointed in the right direction. Total new guy, not a mechanic, and don’t know jack about how all this stuff works, so anything y’all can do to explain things and dumb it down in layman’s terms would be helpful.

About how much am I looking at spending?

Is there a way to do this and still keep my warranty?

How much will my gas mileage be affected?

Many thanks in advance from a not very mechanically inclined new truck owner.
f8101402bb5d3a08b608d24845eb5a5f.jpg

5453206a605d0570e2c6775defde3f72.jpg

49c355372b5cde793ae3fe75c0a9a55c.jpg

7c061704837858b9f23c43b279b86663.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Kibro2

Reaction score
Nothin? No advice?

Nice looking ride and welcome to the forum. I’m sure someone will weigh in on your questions. I have leveled my Rebel and just added 20’ fuel diesel wheels and 285 65 20 nitto ridge grapplers to mine. Not sure on factory 20’ wheels largest tire given the backspacing on them but I know someone will help you with spending your money wisely!

Attachments

• 81C0BCEA-2B84-4389-B954-0F398C37E739.jpeg
    81C0BCEA-2B84-4389-B954-0F398C37E739.jpeg
    219.8 KB · Views: 57

saylor

Reaction score
im new around here myself, but have pretty much the same truck as you. go try the OEM falkens out in the field once. i had mine up at my property and they did very well. they dont look like much but they are pretty decently rated.
i THINK there is something with adding lift and already having the ORP / ORG. study that before you buy a lift kit.

but it rides real nice on dirt/rock logging roads with the stock package.

you could probably get a taller tire maybe a 295 and maybe a 50 wide i think these are 275/55/20 IIRC or maybe a bit bigger

theblakester

Reaction score
im new around here myself, but have pretty much the same truck as you. go try the OEM falkens out in the field once. i had mine up at my property and they did very well. they dont look like much but they are pretty decently rated.
i THINK there is something with adding lift and already having the ORP / ORG. study that before you buy a lift kit.

but it rides real nice on dirt/rock logging roads with the stock package.

you could probably get a taller tire maybe a 295 and maybe a 50 wide i think these are 275/55/20 IIRC or maybe a bit bigger

“i THINK there is something with adding lift and already having the ORP / ORG. study that before you buy a lift kit.”

Yes This has a lot to do with my questions, and I’ve also seen some conflicting info generally speaking about what would or wouldn’t fit/rub. Thank you for the info!

Jonandyork

Reaction score
I believe the off road package did include a 1 inch suspension lift. 4x4 off road sticker on the bed denotes that package.
So if you look at lift kits you will have to take the factory ones off. That being said you will get less of a raise from the kit. 3.5 will only raise yours 2.5 and so on.

Tires on the other hand you maybe able to run 295 or 33 on what you have. Some of the off roads without the sport package came from the factory with 33s already installed. Mine stock with no factory lift was running 285/60R20 toyos with out any problems.
If you measure and can clear the height in the fender well. Rough Country and a few others makes a ¼ inch spacer to give you a little extra room on the inside to keep from bumping the sway bar.

JerryBsizzle

Reaction score
Hey guys, proud new owner of my first full sized pick up here in Houston, Tx. 2020 Ram 1500 LoneStar/BigHorn V8 5.7L Hemi crew cab 4x4 that has the “Off-Road Group” (which is what the MSRP sticker calls it), 20”x9” aluminum chrome clad wheels, trailer brake control, and Big Horn Level 1 Equipment Group.

I’m looking to put bigger tires on it that will preform well on the road and off road in some potentially muddy situations. I don’t plan on going mudding for fun, but I do eradicate feral hogs and coyotes on several properties at night and will use 4 wheel drive sometimes in those muddy situations. I also don’t want to hydroplane on the freeway as I live in Houston, and we get a lot of rain down here. I don’t want any rubbing and still want a relatively smooth ride on the road. I’m not looking to break the bank, but I’m definitely not looking to take any shortcuts or go cheap to “make it work” just to have something break on me later. Anything else I’m forgetting that I should consider or factor in. I’d rather buy once, cry once and get this right on the first go round.

I’m thinking I can keep the 20” wheels that came with the truck, and powder coat them black later. Any compatibility issues there? Im not overly worried about the looks of the wheels and more concerned with compatibility and performance and ride.

From what I’ve read, the Billstein leveling kit and 12.5” x 35” Nitto Ridge Grapplers might work well. Will that fit? Do I need an additional lift or an actual lift kit instead? Not sure about spacers or even how exactly they work. I do like wider looking tires, but don’t want that look where the tires stick out really far from the sides of the truck, but I don’t want that tall, skinny look either. I also don’t want the tires to look like stretched out rubber bands on the wheels. I’m open to suggestions and anything to get me pointed in the right direction. Total new guy, not a mechanic, and don’t know jack about how all this stuff works, so anything y’all can do to explain things and dumb it down in layman’s terms would be helpful.

About how much am I looking at spending?

Is there a way to do this and still keep my warranty?

How much will my gas mileage be affected?

Many thanks in advance from a not very mechanically inclined new truck owner.
f8101402bb5d3a08b608d24845eb5a5f.jpg

5453206a605d0570e2c6775defde3f72.jpg

49c355372b5cde793ae3fe75c0a9a55c.jpg

7c061704837858b9f23c43b279b86663.jpg

My advice, don't do a spacer level with the Off Road Group. I had a 19 Laramie with the ORG and I did a 2" front, 1" rear spacer with new control arms and the ride sucked. Wasn't terrible under normal driving, but hit a pothole or big crease in the pavement and the thing would bottom out. I believe now that the control arm was hitting the spring.

I now have a 21 Laramie with a 6" lift and 35's. Everything installed by the dealer. I talked to the guy who built my truck and does all of the aftermarket work at the dealer and he said these trucks HATE spacer leveling kits. I couldn't agree more. My advice having been there and done that, put you some Bilsteins, Eibach, Fox, King whatever leveling struts, but only raise it about an inch higher than you are now (2" setting on most leveling struts to achieve 2" over a stock NON OFF ROAD GROUP truck, 1" over your ORG height) and run some 285/60r20's. Your performance and MPG's won't suffer, it will look clean as hell too. I had 285/65r20's on mine with 1" wheel spacers, don't do all of that.

Oh, and first thing is get some wheel well liners on the rear. That mud and dirt will settle in those pinch seams without them. They are a MUST.

Users who are viewing this thread