5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

help king coilovers

ljndralec

Reaction score
have a 19 ram big horn 4x4. i put 35s on it with king 2.5 shocks all around. question is do i have to upgrade any other parts in order for suspension to perform much better? i didnt get them tuned i just ordered them how they come. i never had kkng shocks before but i have read they are the best quality i guess i thiught with shocks suspension would be able to handle anything but i feel my ride is harsh and bumpy over small speeds small bumbs and uneven roads. or idk if its because the 35 tires are bigger make it ride harsher? im debating adding some icon uca and icon rear springs to male it ride and handle much better any thoughts or recomendations? thanks

Attachments

• 532DB98E-8E55-4109-8C71-92F5B8D3FC53.jpeg
    532DB98E-8E55-4109-8C71-92F5B8D3FC53.jpeg
    177.2 KB · Views: 65
  • 4992A2DF-375B-49C4-9A99-E1E6C4DA532B.jpeg
    4992A2DF-375B-49C4-9A99-E1E6C4DA532B.jpeg
    137 KB · Views: 54
  • 98854EDE-73F9-4A76-99AC-87A63E21DC2E.jpeg
    98854EDE-73F9-4A76-99AC-87A63E21DC2E.jpeg
    171.5 KB · Views: 65
  • 09E8206E-6819-4A44-A8A4-7B9394CED119.jpeg
    09E8206E-6819-4A44-A8A4-7B9394CED119.jpeg
    132.5 KB · Views: 67

Ram1500rsm

Reaction score
How much psi are you running in those tires? And have you played with the adjusters at all? What springs do you have 14 x 500lbs/inch? Turn the adjusters all the way left for example as a test. You can put say 36psi in those KO2's and run the adjusters in the softer setup. If that doesn't change the feeling contact King and let them know. You should have one free valving job from them so they can adjust them for you. Granted all 4 shocks will have to come off. They should not feel harsh. It seems you haven't even adjusted the preload in the coilovers, you can turn them up to gain heigth as needed :)

Last edited:

ljndralec

Reaction score
How much psi are you running in those tires? And have you played with the adjusters at all? What springs do you have 14 x 500lbs/inch? Turn the adjusters all the way left for example as a test. You can put say 36psi in those KO2's and run the adjusters in the softer setup. If that doesn't change the feeling contact King and let them know. You should have one free valving job from them so they can adjust them for you. Granted all 4 shocks will have to come off. They should not feel harsh. It seems you haven't even adjusted the preload in the coilovers, you can turn them up to gain heigth as needed :)
im running them 41 psi i bought tires at discount tires they give free rotation and balance the guy i asked there said 41 is recomended do you recomend any other psi? yea i have ive tried all the nobs ride gets firmer and more control when i turn them more but harsher ride like bumpy my wife let me know she rides in the back with the kids so i have it right now 2 clicks or no clicks it gets softwr ride but i feel i loose control over big bumps. i bought them from poly performance just like that ever knew about tuning them like ive heard people do. i think the springs are the 500 lbs the ones that come with them i didnt order them customized. i didnt know about king one free valving i will contact them! thanks for the info

Ram1500rsm

Reaction score
im running them 41 psi i bought tires at discount tires they give free rotation and balance the guy i asked there said 41 is recomended do you recomend any other psi? yea i have ive tried all the nobs ride gets firmer and more control when i turn them more but harsher ride like bumpy my wife let me know she rides in the back with the kids so i have it right now 2 clicks or no clicks it gets softwr ride but i feel i loose control over big bumps. i bought them from poly performance just like that ever knew about tuning them like ive heard people do. i think the springs are the 500 lbs the ones that come with them i didnt order them customized. i didnt know about king one free valving i will contact them! thanks for the info
What size tires do you have?
If you don't feel much difference in the first 4 clicks I don't think youll get anything better out of the adjusters for the low speed compression. Contact King and see what they can do for you. The more softer setting is typically for the street. Soft makes your suspension top out in the rough though. they can alter the low speed compression and give you a better feel.

elitereap

Reaction score
My question to you is, how did you get enough lift to fit the 35s on without pre-loading the front shocks? Did you have a spacer put between the kings and the top hat? I also second getting them tuned. I just sent mine into accutune to have them better suited to me. I know you have the compression adjusters, but they come pretty “harsh” from the factory in terms of street driving. Might want to consider that as mentioned above!

Ram1500rsm

Reaction score
My question to you is, how did you get enough lift to fit the 35s on without pre-loading the front shocks? Did you have a spacer put between the kings and the top hat? I also second getting them tuned. I just sent mine into accutune to have them better suited to me. I know you have the compression adjusters, but they come pretty “harsh” from the factory in terms of street driving. Might want to consider that as mentioned above!
I love my Accutune valved and tuned Kings. Don't get me wrong my King OEs were day and night compared to Icon OEs I had in my Tacos before. Plushness rigth from the get go but they used to top out in the rough stuff for my likes and what I do with the truck. I did put about 12k miles in my Kings before I sent them to Accutune to get revalved and tuned. I bought a second set of King rears through them, King built,Accutune valved and tuned. Can't get the grin out of my face even more now that I switched my Zone UCAs and went with Icon Delta joints. Much much better UCAs again for what I do with my truck.

Users who are viewing this thread