5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HELP !!!!!!!! brake controller install problems

Helo-tech

Reaction score
Hey ALL,

Not sure what I messed up but I have a serious issue.

I ordered and installed a OEM ram brake controller to my '19 bighorn, followed the instructions to the letter. I cannot update the software so I planned on taking it to the dealer for that part.

here's my issues:

turn the truck to "on" and everything seems normal but I have no radio control, it comes on and I can switch it to the various bands like SXM, AM, FM ---but I have no audio output
I also have no control over the climate system, nothing, it won't even come on.

when I switch the truck to "run" that's when it gets weird, the windshield wiper will come on steady and not go off, no matter what I do.
the dash shows "a number of warnings like 4x4 not available, auto start/stop not available and so on and so on.

I already tried removing the brake module connectors and still have the same issues.

at this point I'm not even sure the truck is drivable and it's my only transport.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Mechanics Rule of Thumb: The last thing you worked on is the first thing that breaks. So what did you disturb during installation? Just one connector not seated right could give you no communication on a bus line or a bad ground, and then anything is possible.

AndreiV

Reaction score
Hey ALL,

Not sure what I messed up but I have a serious issue.

I ordered and installed a OEM ram brake controller to my '19 bighorn, followed the instructions to the letter. I cannot update the software so I planned on taking it to the dealer for that part.

here's my issues:

turn the truck to "on" and everything seems normal but I have no radio control, it comes on and I can switch it to the various bands like SXM, AM, FM ---but I have no audio output
I also have no control over the climate system, nothing, it won't even come on.

when I switch the truck to "run" that's when it gets weird, the windshield wiper will come on steady and not go off, no matter what I do.
the dash shows "a number of warnings like 4x4 not available, auto start/stop not available and so on and so on.

I already tried removing the brake module connectors and still have the same issues.

at this point I'm not even sure the truck is drivable and it's my only transport.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!
First thing you probably did according to instruction is disconnecting battery. It takes time (several hours) for all functions of infotainment system to return to normal after battery disconnect.

Magredvet

Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure but I think the connectors for the TBC and the radio/hvac controls are the same size. Maybe you have them in the wrong sockets? Do the +and - on the controller light up?
I disconnected the battery, but there was no wait time before the radio/hvac controls worked correctly.

Helo-tech

Reaction score
Hey Guys, thanks soooo much for the help, I really appreciate it !!!!

I figured it out------seems MAGREDVET was correct, I accidentally switched the two connectors on the Radio and HVAC, switching them back DID NOT help until I replaced the blown 15amp fuse to the body control module. once I did that everything came back as normal. whew!!! what a relief.

again, thanks a ton.

Magredvet

Reaction score
Glad you got it figured out. Incidentally, if your dealer is one of the ones that needs $150+ for programming, you CAN do it yourself with the Alphaobd app, a security gateway bypass, and an obd2 reader.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Hey Guys, thanks soooo much for the help, I really appreciate it !!!!

I figured it out------seems MAGREDVET was correct, I accidentally switched the two connectors on the Radio and HVAC, switching them back DID NOT help until I replaced the blown 15amp fuse to the body control module. once I did that everything came back as normal. whew!!! what a relief.

again, thanks a ton.
Excellent

Users who are viewing this thread