5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help a truck noob

epmd

Reaction score
2019 Rebel is my first truck. Granite, monotone with 12" and leather seats, crew cab. Just love it. Need some advice on some add ons.

1. Running boards. Planning to get MOPAR boards but not sure what to get--off road, matte black, power? Any opinions that come with pics would be a big help
2. Tonneau covers-- I mountain bike and can keep the bed open for most everything but the road trip. Any recommendations on easy to remove top or fold/roll away that will still let me use the bed like it was meant to be used?
3. Bought my truck off the lot and nearly all of them had drop-in liners installed. I suspect a spray-in is in my future. Teach me the plus/minus please. I live in the desert so rain is not really an issue.

Thanks for helping a noob out.

Last edited:

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
1. Look at the GoRhino RB20's half the price of the MOPAR Off Road boards
2. I have the BacFlip MX4 on mine. Does what I need it to do and add some rear stake pocket covers.
3. I have the spray in liner-Line X is the factory one and have had it on my previous vehicles-holds up very well, keeps things from sliding around, never had any scratches in the bed.

Check out my thread.

wwalljr

Reaction score
1. I have Steelcraft boards. See pic.
2. Access Lorado roll up. 7635F620-824D-45F1-AA58-2C954C791053.jpeg
3. I have DeeZee rubber bed mat. Spray in would be best.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2019 Rebel is my first truck. Granite, monotone with 12" and leather seats, crew cab. Just love it. Need some advice on some add ons.

1. Running boards. Planning to get MOPAR boards but not sure what to get--off road, matte black, power? Any opinions that come with pics would be a big help
2. Tonneau covers-- I mountain bike and can keep the bed open for most everything but the road trip. Any recommendations on easy to remove top or fold/roll away that will still let me use the bed like it was meant to be used?
3. Bought my truck off the lot and nearly all of them had drop-in liners installed. I suspect a spray-in is in my future. Teach me the plus/minus please. I live in the desert so rain is not really an issue.

Thanks for helping a noob out.

I have the Extang Solid Fold 2.0. It sits on top of the bed so there’s no railing to install and it’s a very solid fold up. But I know a lot of guys like the tonneau covers that sit flush. I also recommend the Bed Rug to cover the bottom of your bed and the tailgate.

I don’t have a pic of the Bed Rug installed, but here’s a pick of the Solid Fold on my truck.

Attachments

• A208B9AC-AC64-4D37-9618-E48A3C152733.jpeg
    A208B9AC-AC64-4D37-9618-E48A3C152733.jpeg
    128.6 KB · Views: 50

j517

Reaction score
Diamond back tonneau cover
6d689802867d0c26b25b5861869e4f89.jpg

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

BSea

Reaction score
I just bought my Laramie Longhorn. I had a GMC Sierra Crew cab prior to this truck. I loved my diamondback SE cover. One thing to consider is a toolbox. I had the Crossbin 13. Basically 13" deep going acroos the width of the bed up by the cab. For me that was overkill, and I thought since it was only $20 more than the crossbin 8, why not. But it's a real PITA to get stuff from the middle of the box. So on my new truck, I'm thinking of getting the side boxes, so I can reach everything from the side and/or the rear. The cover isn't too bad to remove. I probably did it at least a dozen times in the 3 years I had the cover.

No help on the running boards, My Ram came with the retractable steps. My wife really likes them since the come down far enouigh to really be useful. But I'd suggest you get tube steps or actual rock rails if you plan on going off road much.

And I've had 2 drop in liners, and 2 spray on liners over the years. There isn't anything good to say about a drop in liner over a spray in liner. If you can afford it, go spray in.

Pressgrove

Reaction score
I'd give a vote for a Bedrug vs. a spray in. I was 100% confident I was getting Line-X when I bought the truck. My last truck had Line-X for 15 years and it held up well.

Then I read about Berug on this forum. I finally decided to take the plunge and have no regrets. My use is different than what you are planning (my cover stays on), but there are some videos online that show people that have had them for years.

Last edited:

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd give a vote for a Bedrug vs. a spray in. I was 100% confident I was getting Line-X when I bought the truck. My last truck had one for 15 years and it held up well.

Then I read about Berug on this forum. I finally decided to take the plunge and have no regrets. My use is different than what you are planning (my cover stays on), but there are some videos online that show people that have had them for years.
My truck came with the spray in bed liner and I added the bed rug with the tailgate cover. The bed rug seems to be a top notch product. But too soon for me to tell long term. I suspect it will hold up fine because I have a toneau cover over it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/