5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help!!! 2019 Ram 3.6 1500 Aftermarket Sub Install (Engine Revs to 4k RPM When Started)

ivaughn

Reaction score
All:

Need some support ASAP. I have a 2019 Ram Big Horn and am installing an aftermarket sub into the truck. I DO NOT have the premium sound system so my thought was that I could just tap into any speaker to get a signal that goes to the amp.

I initially tried to tap into the rear door speaker but ran into a problem when I began to drive the truck and the auto lock feature engages (at 15-20 mph). I would hear a loud "boom" from the sub so I believe that the voltage went down. I also noticed that if I pressed the unlock button on my door, I would continuously get the "boom" from my sub once I pressed it. I then went to Plan B: tapped into the front tweeter. The sub worked perfectly when I turned on the battery/ACC. I also tested the unlock button to see if I would get the "boom" like I did before when I tapped into the rear door speaker - I did not. When I went to turn the actual engine on, however, it instantaneously revs to 4k RPM without touching the accelerator. Any thoughts or suggestions? What is causing this?

Equipment:
-PAC 35 LOC
-8 gauge wiring
-New Rockford Fosgate Amp
-JL Audio Sub

All help is greatly appreciated!!!!

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Normally you would tap into a pair of speakers, left and right channel, so that you get bass signals from both channels, and mix them in the sub amp. You didn't say which RF amp you got but I think most of them are like that. My first guess is that you have connected one or both of the LOC's speaker return wires to something you thought was ground, but isn't. They shouldn't go to ground anyway, that's another common mistake. And you may not have needed the LOC, as most of the RF sub amps have high level inputs, but it should work anyway. Check what you are connected to, and hope you didn't blow something up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/