5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello from Canada

Exia

Reaction score
Hello all,

I don't currently own a Ram but am in the market for one up here in the Great White North. This will be my very first truck and I also consider myself an automotive enthusiast. I have never owned more then one vehicle at a time and due to my lifestyle I do not require anything very practical, because of this I have been driving sports car's for the last 3 years as my only vehicles and I currently drive a C7 Z06. Obviously the car is not a great one for the Canadian winters but since I have everything I need within walking distance of my house and I take public transportation to work I knew I would have to give up driving in the winter months when I got it. After 3 years of being slightly inconvenienced due to no vehicle to drive in the winter I decided it was time to add another to my driveway.

I will say a truck was not the first vehicle I had in mind, I am the last person who would consider a truck, I originally was going to shop AWD sport sedans, something still fun yet practical and the AWD would be helpful in winter especially for trips to see family in Toronto. After a while of searching for a sedan I'd like I eventually came to the conclusion that while owning a sports sedan would be cool it would actually not be a great idea, simply because the value of them is the fact that they can be practical and fun as your only vehicle. However since my Corvette is my fun car, and it will be the vehicle of choice 95% of the time I drive during the spring/summer the sport sedan idea made less sense as I wouldn't really be able to exploit the car during the winter and I wouldn't drive it over the Corvette in the summer except for the odd time I need to carry more then 1 person, which is exceedingly rare.

After this revelation I decided what if I go for the polar opposite of my Corvette? If the Corvette is the fun, impractical, stiff riding vehicle, then I need a very practical smooth riding vehicle to counter it. So I went to the top of the practicality list, pick ups. After some looking around and doing some research I landed on the new 5th gen Ram. The new interior won me over instantly, especially the Longhorn.

I am looking to get into a loaded 1500 Big Horn, I like amenities and tech. The only thing that isn't on the Big Horn that I'd like is ventilated leather seats but moving up to an equally equipped Laramie to get them would run me another 10k which, like the Longhorn, is out of the budget. I'm still going over what options I think I'd like but must haves for me so far are 4x4, Hemi with eTorque, Big Horn level 2 equipment group, the 12 inch display, bucket seats, LED lights with the Mountain interior. Currently leaning towards Crew cab and 6'4 bed. Options I'm on the fence for are the 3.92 ratio, air suspension and anti spin diff. I think for a first truck this seems like a solid setup, at least to me.

I will say Ram did a superb job on the new 5th gen, it convinced me, someone who has never been into trucks to look into getting a Ram, especially over the competition.

I look forward to learning more about these trucks from you all before and after my purchase.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
As a former owner of a Vette and several other sports cars, I can tell you that the "everyday comfort" and practicality of a truck—especially these new Rams, due to their level of refinement—is addictive. You may find that you only take the Z06 out for a Sunday drive on nice days, and you prefer driving the truck 95% of the time.

Personally, I went with 3.92, air suspension, ELocker, and just about everything else...so my truck isn't a good example of option balancing :)

Exia

Reaction score
I want to deny that but I feel like at some point that will be very true, I do not like garage queens, but I also told myself I'd never consider a truck so I guess my self opinion is moot.

Scott_65

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from a ex Canuck now living in a much warmer SC. This is also my first truck and I absolutely love it and I’m guessing you will too once you pull the trigger. No interest in a C8? That was my original plan but couldn’t pass up the deal I got on my Limited, although I do see a C8 in my future for sure.

Exia

Reaction score
I like the C8 but for me the C7 is a different vehicle. The C8 onwards will consist of the new formula just improved, the C7 is the last of its kind. So while I like the C8, I'm in no rush when a C9 or a C10 are guaranteed to be the same formula just better so I don't see a reason to jump on a C8 and would rather fill the void with a second vehicle that can handle winter and other needs.

Owning two vehicles, one being a C7 and the other being a C8 does sound pretty cool though, but not really rational, maybe when I'm retired, but I better have a Longhorn by then.

Users who are viewing this thread