5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hellcat Oil Pump Install

TDP154

Reaction score
Disclaimer: This thread is not a debate over which solution is best for proactively solving the lifter/cam issue. This is meant to help those who wish to replace their oil pump with one for a Hellcat/SRT, as there are some sticky situations to be mindful of.

For those who haven’t heard about the Hellcat oil pump, it’s circulating as a potential solution for preventing the lifters and cam failing (the dreaded hemi tick.) It is said to be due to the lifters being of poor build quality, or the MDS system causing it. However, the lifters have failed for some folks who did an MDS delete with non-MDS lifters. You may develop a lifter failure at any time, or you may never develop one at all. I personally don’t ever want the chance to deal with that headache, so I started researching. And yes, aftermarket lifters are of higher quality such as Comp Cams or Melling. Modern Muscle Extreme did a comparison video of different lifters and their ability to hold oil. It is speculated that it may also be due to a camshaft hardening issue combined with insufficient lubrication, causing the lifters to fail and beat on the cam.

Hemis with high idle times are the most likely to develop a lifter/cam issue. Police cars and commercial trucks especially. At idle, your oil pressure is sustained at the lowest it will be. It is theoretically likely that the idling oil pressure at operating temperature is not sufficient for longevity’s sake.

To increase oil pressure at idle you can increase your idle RPM with a tuner, change to thicker oil (but am unsure how much it would increase by), and/or upgrade to a Hellcat oil pump. I opted for the latter. The Hellcat pump has bigger rotors than the 5.7L, pushing a higher volume of oil.

It is a very laborious job. I only tackled it because I had very experienced help to guide me and catch me if I fell. I hope to give those who wish to take on this task any advice I can that I believe would be of use.

For the job, here is a list of parts needed. This does not include specialty tools.

*Hellcat Oil Pump
68195993AD

*Oil Pump Pickup Tube O-Ring

*Crankshaft Oil Seal
53021585AD

*Timing Cover Gasket
53021521AD

*Water Pump Gasket
68391488AA

*50/50 Antifreeze/Coolant (2-3 gallons)
68163849AB

*Engine oil and oil filter of your choice
I’m using Valvoline 5W-20 for now, with an SRT oil filter (5038041AA). This filter is of a superior design (designed by SRT for the Viper) and is good for about 3 more PSI of oil pressure.

*A/C Recharge of R-1234yf
Very expensive, good luck finding a reasonably priced bottle. 5th gens take 18 ounces (510 grams) but you can get away with less.

*Optional* Mopar Oil Pan Gasket
53021568AE

Steps:

Disconnect your negative AND positive battery terminals. You don’t want the possibility of your alternator lighting you up when you go to disconnect it.

Drain the radiator, drain the engine oil, change your oil filter, and release the lovely toxic gases out of your A/C condenser.

Remove your cold air intake, grille, fan, active grille shutter, radiator, A/C condenser, coolant reservoir and windshield washer fluid bottle. Remove one headlight so you can remove the radiator support. Now you have plenty of room to work.

Take pictures of everything as you go along so you can always refer back to them for when you reassemble.

Remove your drive belt, alternator, brake booster vacuum pump, and A/C compressor. The A/C compressor isn’t bolted in with standard bolts, they are very long studs.

Remove your vibration damper.

With a sharpie, number every bolt head on the timing cover and water pump. There are several different lengths so if you don’t want to go through trial and error when putting them back on, number them.

Remove the water pump. Prepare for some coolant.

Remove the timing cover. You are now looking at your cam sprocket, timing chain and oil pump. If you want to do a cam, now is the time.

The oil pump is held in with four horizontal bolts for the body of the pump and one vertical bolt for the oil pickup tube. The oil pickup tube is your problem child, as you have very little space to work with due to the oil pan. Remove the four easy bolts first. You can now ever so slightly tilt the oil pump side to side. On the truck hemis, the pickup tube is also bolted into the oil pan gasket/integrated windage tray. If you have a 5.7 in a car you can rotate the oil pump a little further as they do not have the bolt in the windage tray.

At this point, in order to get the bolt for the pickup tube off you have two options. The proper way is to remove the oil pan and unbolt the pickup tube from below. If you have 4wd your front diff is 100% in the way and that would have to be dropped to remove the oil pan-- or you hoist the engine up enough to clear the pan. I’m not sure how much room there is with 2wd trucks.

Your other option, although more risky, is to remove all of the accessible oil pan bolts and use a pry bar as a WEDGE at the front. NOT to pry down (except for the initial step to get a pry bar between the pan and engine.) See picture below. Remove as many oil pan bolts as you can see to ease on the pressure of the sides of the oil pan gasket when you crack the seal to insert your wedges. I don’t recommend doing this method if your oil pan gasket is not new, (older than 5 years) or if you have a lot of miles on your truck. The gasket is badass and has no problem resealing if in good shape.

Below the oil pump are two openings in the windage tray. Stuff a rag in the driver side hole completely to prevent anything from falling in there. On the passenger side where your pickup tube bolt is, stuff a rag in there and make a little bowl. That way if your bolt drops you can take it out.

With your rags and pry bars in place, you have enough room to fit a 13mm wrench in to break the bolt loose. A ratchet wrench won’t work because you don’t have enough room to remove the wrench once the bolt is loosened further. Dry the bolt head as best you can with a rag.

With your best stick magnet, glide it over the bolt head to help loosen it far enough to where you can use your fingers to remove it entirely.

You can now remove the oil pump. It must be lifted upward and outward to clear the lip of the pickup tube. Change the o-ring on the pickup tube.

Get out your new beautiful and shiny Hellcat pump. Pour some fresh oil down the pickup tube of the pump and move the rotors around to lube it up. Drain out excess.

Installing the pump is a little tricky as you have to be careful sliding it down your crankshaft and clearing the pickup tube lip. Do NOT force anything. Once the oil pump rotors are aligned with the crank it will slide right on, you will just have to play with it some to clear the pickup tube.

Put your pickup tube bolt back in and start the threads by hand. You can sand/scuff the sides of the bolt head for some extra grip. Use your stick magnet to tighten the bolt, then use your 13mm wrench to snug it back up. Reinstall the four oil pump mounting bolts and torque to 21 ft lbs.

Remove your pry bars/wedges.

Prep your timing cover and water pump by cleaning the surface where the gaskets were. Give extra effort to clean the bottom of the timing cover. That part of the oil pan gasket is given a line of sealant from the factory. It will stick to your timing cover, and it should be cleaned off entirely. A wire brush worked best for me.

Install your new crankshaft seal on your timing cover. Do not lube it up with oil beforehand or else it will leak. Tap it in dry carefully. Install your new timing cover and water pump gaskets. Take note as to how the old gaskets are oriented.

Apply some RTV sealant between the block and gasket (where your pry bars were resting) and also on the face of the gasket directly in front of that.

Install your timing cover and water pump. All bolts are torqued to 21 ft lbs.

Install your vibration damper/crankshaft bolt. Torque to 130 ft lbs.

Reinstall all your accessories back onto your timing cover, then your drivebelt. I’m glad I took a picture of the belt before I removed it so I could figure out how to put it back on.

Reassemble your truck in reverse order and replenish your fluids. I bought four gallons of coolant but I only ended up using two full gallons. Refill your engine with oil. Recharge your A/C.

Reconnect your battery and start ‘er up!

Oil pressure at startup while cold is 80-85psi
Idle at operating temperature fluctuates between 34-36psi
Normal driving conditions between 60-70psi
WOT is 75-80psi

After a test drive be sure to thoroughly inspect for leaks. If you broke the oil pan seal, get under the truck and look at both sides of your oil pan for signs of any drippage. I personally have had ZERO issues.

Overall very pleased with the results.

In my opinion, compared to engines of the old days, this high-volume pump could be an oldschool solution to a modern problem.

Attachments

• 5B5E66DA-23C2-4B66-A0C0-F215DCCFE716.jpeg
    5B5E66DA-23C2-4B66-A0C0-F215DCCFE716.jpeg
    151.1 KB · Views: 293
  • 669A6880-1D89-4F2C-82CC-2C648CFC8C5C.jpeg
    669A6880-1D89-4F2C-82CC-2C648CFC8C5C.jpeg
    189.1 KB · Views: 291
  • 2DA5FCB0-6F1F-44AA-8CEC-90EE8ECDE688.jpeg
    2DA5FCB0-6F1F-44AA-8CEC-90EE8ECDE688.jpeg
    129.8 KB · Views: 284
  • 40720C36-A920-4C4A-8015-21DFE2A50AF5.jpeg
    40720C36-A920-4C4A-8015-21DFE2A50AF5.jpeg
    156.6 KB · Views: 284
  • D048035E-C405-4C7F-A904-B403A2BFF369.jpeg
    D048035E-C405-4C7F-A904-B403A2BFF369.jpeg
    178.5 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:

Drivinfast247

Reaction score
Thanks for the very informative write-up.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

HookedonRam

Reaction score
Thank you for this as I've been thinking about tackling this. It seems very tedious and extensive and I must admit I haven't tackled anything of this magnitude before. I have 320 idle hours and wondering if I should do this.

TDP154

Reaction score
Thank you for this as I've been thinking about tackling this. It seems very tedious and extensive and I must admit I haven't tackled anything of this magnitude before. I have 320 idle hours and wondering if I should do this.
It is not a guarantee because there is no way to prove that if you never had a lifter problem over the life of your engine that it was thanks to the oil pump. It certainly is good for peace of mind though, and inexpensive. Just need a free weekend to do it.

HookedonRam

Reaction score
It is not a guarantee because there is no way to prove that if you never had a lifter problem over the life of your engine that it was thanks to the oil pump. It certainly is good for peace of mind though, and inexpensive. Just need a free weekend to do it.

Very true, I have 7/100k Mopar Max Care and if I decide to keep my truck beyond that this is definitely something I’d like to install. I’m not sure if I’m confident enough to tackle it on my own just yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HEMI19

Reaction score
Did you run into any issues with the VVT/MDS system after the oil pump upgrade? I'm looking to do the same on my 2019 Ram 1500.

I read on a Challenger forum that someone ran into issues with the stock tune afterwards, was it just bolt up and go for you?

Also, can you advise before/after PSI differences since the upgrade?

TDP154

Reaction score
Did you run into any issues with the VVT/MDS system after the oil pump upgrade? I'm looking to do the same on my 2019 Ram 1500.

I read on a Challenger forum that someone ran into issues with the stock tune afterwards, was it just bolt up and go for you?

Also, can you advise before/after PSI differences since the upgrade?
No issues with VVT or anything. No issues with the tune, except there are obviously some parameters out of range with the increased oil pressure that the stock tune can’t account for. This comes in the form of a stored P0524 code. It does not affect drivability or performance in any way. You would likely get a CEL for the same code after driving on it for awhile, myself and others have all gotten it. Easily turned off though.
My hot idle psi was 27 and increased to 36. Driving around was 45-50 if I remember correctly, increasing to 60 with the HC oil pump. It is bolt up and go.

Last edited:

HEMI19

Reaction score
No issues with VVT or anything. No issues with the tune, except there are obviously some parameters out of range with the increased oil pressure that the stock tune can’t account for. This comes in the form of a stored P0524 code. It does not affect drivability or performance in any way. You would likely get a CEL for the same code after driving on it for awhile, myself and others have all gotten it. Easily turned off though.
My hot idle psi was 27 and increased to 36. Driving around was 45-50 if I remember correctly, increasing to 60 with the HC oil pump. It is bolt up and go.

Interesting, thanks for the response.

As for the oil pressure I'm not as concerned now as I was, I'm seeing the same pressures with the stock oil pump when running Redline 5W-20 oil and MO-899 filter.

Cold Idle: 52-53 PSI
Hot Idle: 35-38 PSI
Normal driving after warmed up: Anywhere from 50-53 PSI

If I switch back to Pennzoil FS I typically sit around 32-33 for hot idle, cold idle stays about the same. (52-53 PSI)

TDP154

Reaction score
Interesting, thanks for the response.

As for the oil pressure I'm not as concerned now as I was, I'm seeing the same pressures with the stock oil pump when running Redline 5W-20 oil and MO-899 filter.

Cold Idle: 52-53 PSI
Hot Idle: 35-38 PSI
Normal driving after warmed up: Anywhere from 50-53 PSI

If I switch back to Pennzoil FS I typically sit around 32-33 for hot idle, cold idle stays about the same. (52-53 PSI)
Never understood why some people have lower or higher idle psi’s at operating temp. Nonetheless, with a Hellcat pump your psi would be even higher.

Anywheels

Reaction score
I just watched an update video on the process, and he mentioned that another installer replaced the Hellcat pump oil pressure spring with the RAM OEM spring. keeps the high volume at idle without the high rpm higher pressure. This was the solution to a "Low Oil Pressure" code being thrown. Turns out the low pressure code does not just mean Low, the system detected pressure out of range.
Look at 23:30 for the low pressure discussion, spring change after that.

TDP154

Reaction score
I just watched an update video on the process, and he mentioned that another installer replaced the Hellcat pump oil pressure spring with the RAM OEM spring. keeps the high volume at idle without the high rpm higher pressure. This was the solution to a "Low Oil Pressure" code being thrown. Turns out the low pressure code does not just mean Low, the system detected pressure out of range.
Look at 23:30 for the low pressure discussion, spring change after that.
I did see that, it was a great video. Seems like the Melling high volume pump is the new way to go.

DJGiglio

Reaction score
I have a 2013 Dodge Durango with 50k miles. I had installed the Hellcat oil pump and after 2 1/2 months the CEL P0254 finally came on. I had watched Reignited's video on resolving the issue by using a voltage divider, but I am unsure of what exactly he is talking about here. I'm assuming you can order this on Amazon. If you can send me a link on where to order it I'd really appreciate it!

TDP154

Reaction score
I have a 2013 Dodge Durango with 50k miles. I had installed the Hellcat oil pump and after 2 1/2 months the CEL P0254 finally came on. I had watched Reignited's video on resolving the issue by using a voltage divider, but I am unsure of what exactly he is talking about here. I'm assuming you can order this on Amazon. If you can send me a link on where to order it I'd really appreciate it!
I didn't go this route, I got HP Tuners and turned off P0524. Sorry I don't have any advice to give. Had he made that video before I did the swap I would have replaced springs or gotten the Melling pump.

N7GZN

Reaction score
So without a tune, a hellcat pump install should include the lower psi pressure regulator spring out of the original oil pump to mitigate pressure errors. The hellcat pump is for increasing the oil volume at idle.

DJGiglio

Reaction score
I didn't go this route, I got HP Tuners and turned off P0524. Sorry I don't have any advice to give. Had he made that video before I did the swap I would have replaced springs or gotten the Melling pump.
I would have gone this route. But I live in New York and every year you have to get an inspection done on the vehicle and any check engine light would fail the inspection. I just need the car to appear like it is normal. I’d also like to keep the MDS for now at least until I add boost where I delete the MDS (which is why I’m not gonna change the internals of the Hellcat oil pump) but that won’t be for a while. I’m gonna try reaching out to Reignited on where to get everything. I had commented on his video previously, but no response.

DJGiglio

Reaction score
So without a tune, a hellcat pump install should include the lower psi pressure regulator spring out of the original oil pump to mitigate pressure errors. The hellcat pump is for increasing the oil volume at idle.
You’re absolutely correct! FYI, for my future ambitions, I plan on adding boost, which is why I did not want to change the spring in the oil pump.

TDP154

Reaction score
I would have gone this route. But I live in New York and every year you have to get an inspection done on the vehicle and any check engine light would fail the inspection. I just need the car to appear like it is normal. I’d also like to keep the MDS for now at least until I add boost where I delete the MDS (which is why I’m not gonna change the internals of the Hellcat oil pump) but that won’t be for a while. I’m gonna try reaching out to Reignited on where to get everything. I had commented on his video previously, but no response.
I believe I was the first one to reach out to Reignited about a check engine light after install, and I never got a response from him. Also, I don’t see what benefit a HC pressure spring would have over a 5.7 spring. At WOT you’re getting plenty of oil on the stock spring pressure, and plenty of people boost their 5.7s without upgrading the oil pump. Plus you’re getting the increased volume at idle which is what really matters. If I could do it all over again, I would swap the springs and be done. But that info wasn’t around back then unfortunately.

TDP154

Reaction score
Something else to consider, if you’re diligent enough you could install the HC pump with the HC spring and set the gear limiter to 8 to prevent it from going into MDS every time you drive. Then you wouldn’t get the CEL.

Loya1ty23

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the part list breakdown. I'm hearing a rhythmic tick recently that is beyond what I'm used to hearing from my exhaust manifold leaks. Last 2 days I've learned quite a bit a lot on the issue and solution lol I've got a 2016 1500 w/ 140k miles. About to do the whole 9 yards for the sake of going another 140k, but thinking I'll try just the oil pump at first if I was able to avoid too much abuse on the lifters/cams. I'll need to inspect the VVT first thing just to be sure anything is worth it. You close to NoVa and wanna do it again!? lmao

Users who are viewing this thread