5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heads up. Be careful with Apple CarPlay spam texts.

RangeWalk

Reaction score
Earlier today I received a text on CarPlay that I suspect tried to install something onto Uconnect. I’ve recently seen an uptick in spam texts (thanks 2020) and without thinking clicked on an incoming text on my CarPlay (2021 Laramie 12” system). Shortly after I saw a pop up on my Uconnect screen, “Installing PopupMessages_es_MX_161400.jar”. After seeing the same message after multiple restarts I called Uconnect support to troubleshoot the issue. It seems that within the body of the text message was a link that I can only surmise CarPlay automatically triggered which then tried to download malware. Tech support had me do a soft reset of the system and after a couple of restarts the message disappeared.
Crazy stuff, especially considering the link wasn’t physically pressed on the phone. Be careful!

Sam_The_RAM_Man

Reaction score
Earlier today I received a text on CarPlay that I suspect tried to install something onto Uconnect. I’ve recently seen an uptick in spam texts (thanks 2020) and without thinking clicked on an incoming text on my CarPlay (2021 Laramie 12” system). Shortly after I saw a pop up on my Uconnect screen, “Installing PopupMessages_es_MX_161400.jar”. After seeing the same message after multiple restarts I called Uconnect support to troubleshoot the issue. It seems that within the body of the text message was a link that I can only surmise CarPlay automatically triggered which then tried to download malware. Tech support had me do a soft reset of the system and after a couple of restarts the message disappeared.
Crazy stuff, especially considering the link wasn’t physically pressed on the phone. Be careful!
Appreciate you sharing this!

DomW

Reaction score
I have had the same issue since day one. It looks like there was an issue with an update and will probably go away after the next one. I have not gotten a spam text in almost a year.

BasicBarks

Reaction score
I have Android auto, and this just popped up on mine today

BasicBarks

Reaction score
But didn't receive any text

SMJBAV

Reaction score
I have the same message however I do not have any Carplay connected ( nor Android for that matter) My setting for the screen projection is also turned off. Based on that I suuspect the root cause is not Carplay. I also did a reset...it went away but came back again....

jimchi

Reaction score
It’s not a virus or anything like that. IIRC, the .jar files are over the air updates for Uconnect via the Sirius system. No need for alarm- this issue has been covered previously in other threads.

Kamakazee311

Reaction score
It’s not a virus or anything like that. IIRC, the .jar files are over the air updates for Uconnect via the Sirius system. No need for alarm- this issue has been covered previously in other threads.
Are you able to link to the other threads? I’m new to the forum and having trouble finding them, and I am seeing this message on my new PowerWagon. Thanks in advance?

Users who are viewing this thread