5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

headlight lens polish?

bluecrewnuke

Reaction score
What seems to be the best protectant for headlight lenses? I'm just looking for something to make the bugs easier to remove. I checked the label on the spray version of Rain-X , but it's sort of ambiguous as to its safety for polycarbonates. Works like a champ on glass, but does it do the same job on plastic?

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just wax my truck with Meguiars Ultimate and use the same on the headlights. Not sure about Rain X, It may make them more slippery for cleaing but it won't protect them from yellowing like a wax or sealant would.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What seems to be the best protectant for headlight lenses? I'm just looking for something to make the bugs easier to remove. I checked the label on the spray version of Rain-X , but it's sort of ambiguous as to its safety for polycarbonates. Works like a champ on glass, but does it do the same job on plastic?

Consider putting plastic film over the lenses. I got mine through lamin-x and it seems like it does a good job in protecting the lens and shedding bugs. Bonus is you can be a bit more aggressive in cleaning without hurting the lens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can use the same sealeant/wax/coating you use on the paint on the headlights.

If you really want something specific for glass they do make it as well but I doubt it is much different.

bluecrewnuke

Reaction score
With a little more digging, I found that Rain-X themselves make a product specifically for clear plastic. I ordered a bottle yesterday.

K1135

Reaction score
First thing I did was vinyl wrap headlight and taillight. LED replacement housing aren't cheap might as well start protecting them from the beginning. you know they will oxidize.

Lit_AF

Hardware Geek - Pro Detailer
Reaction score
From experience here, never compound and polish your new headlights. :(
They haze and oxidize faster.
Just ceramic coat them / wax / seal them.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Only polish if they're scratched and/or dull. Otherwise, leave them alone, as you could strip the UV protection coat they put in them.
As @Timeless said, use same protection you'd use on your paint and you'll be all set. (TW ceramic spray for me at the moment).

Cheers,

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just wax the headlights with the rest of the truck, helps protect the clear coat on the lens. On my last truck I had the XPEL put on but it did yellow a bit after a couple years and I've heard that the film can pull the coating off the lens when you go to pull off the film so I opted not to put it on this truck.

K1135

Reaction score
I just wax the headlights with the rest of the truck, helps protect the clear coat on the lens. On my last truck I had the XPEL put on but it did yellow a bit after a couple years and I've heard that the film can pull the coating off the lens when you go to pull off the film so I opted not to put it on this truck.

I hope not, I waxed it before putting the film so it wont stick directly to the surface but has a good coat of wax for an easy peel when need to. MIne are tinted vinyl so I hope it wont yellow. Guess time will tell

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Apply Xpel film on the headlights would probably be the best protection you can have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Users who are viewing this thread