5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has Anyone Tried the Tucson Electronic Sway Control?

DavidNJ

Reaction score
This device mounts on the trailer monitors yaw rate and selectively applies the trailer brakes. I had found a similar (but less sophisticated) device sold in Australia, and someone pointed me to this.

Activation of the trailer brakes is the easiest way to control sway. The 4-bar linkage hitches are the best to prevent it (other than a 5th wheel or gooseneck). It appears to be available online for about $450.

Last edited:

DavidNJ

Reaction score
Just bringing this question back to life. I've been a fan of Hensley and ProPride 4-bar linkage/virtual 5th wheel hitches. However, I'm wondering if the use of this sort of electronic stability control that detects sway and applies the left or right brakes to keep in check may be a simpler and MUCH less costly ($500 vs ~$3000) alternative. It could be coupled with the Andersen WDH which weighs about 60 lb, or 100 lb-130 lb less than the 4-bar linkage hitches. It also has a super quick and simple way to disconnect the weight distribution (chains instead of bars) vs. the other WD hitches with bars. The whole Andersen WDH should easily fit in a Rambox.

Bosch/Dexter apparently also has an electronic sway control that also includes ABS for the trailer. However, at this time it is only OEM in the US and in the initial configuration is sized for trailers above a RAM 1500's towing capacity (8 lug wheels, etc.)

Tuscon has 2 different types of trailer tire sensors also. Both are about $500. One uses a valve stem with a sensor, the other has balls that are loose inside the tire. Their displays show all tires at the same time and can display both pressure (up to 203 psi) and temperature.

Users who are viewing this thread