5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Harsh e-torque starts

TDJ

Reaction score
Just picked up a 2022 Ram 1500 (Canadian) Sport GT with e-torque. I didn't really notice it when test driving but seems like the auto start is pretty harsh. Expected a smoother start. Maybe it's because I have the GT but the starts result in some loud and definitely noticeable starts. I have seen other posts that indicate seamless or barely noticeable starts so just curious.

Lpsouth1978

Reaction score
My 2021 has nearly seamless start/stop. It is noticeable, but barely. It is not harsh at all, and certainly not loud.

The_Dude

Reaction score
Just picked up a 2022 Ram 1500 (Canadian) Sport GT with e-torque. I didn't really notice it when test driving but seems like the auto start is pretty harsh. Expected a smoother start. Maybe it's because I have the GT but the starts result in some loud and definitely noticeable starts. I have seen other posts that indicate seamless or barely noticeable starts so just curious.
If it doesn't jerk when starting and if you're hearing a loud exhaust surge, then everything is normal.

schmidja

Reaction score
Should be very smooth, like turning on a switch to an electric motor. As previously posted, exhaust noise is really the only thing you should hear. If you're not sure, go to a dealer and try another truck to compare to yours.

John

Reactions: TDJ

nativeTexanATX

Reaction score
2022 Rebel G/T here (US) and I have experienced the same: it gets very quiet when it auto stops and it's very loud (and tends to kick a little bit) when auto starting back up. I've gotten in the habit of turning the Start/Stop system off as soon as I start up the engine.

fishslayer

Reaction score
my Hemi-E Torque is smooth as glass on AUTO-START .. and when transitioning V8 to ECO mode.. unless I really pay attention, I dont even notice it .. There certainly should not be any loud noise

Louhound88

Reaction score
What are you considering harsh? With mine, if I don't have my foot firmly on the break it will sort of lurch me forward a little. Have to keep some distance when stopped behind another vehicle at the light. I tend to hold my foot firm down though to ensure it does auto stop/start.

Also, I have a borla s type exhaust so my restarts are loud due to the exhaust. I like it personally, but at times I don't want unwanted attention so i'll turn off start/stop to quiet down the restart noise.

The etorque is meant to provide extra torque for a few tire rotations, so that's why it feels like a lurch. Just enough to keep you on your toes so you don't rear end the car in front ha.

Ramjack

Reaction score
Mine is seamless. It's almost like the engine just magically starts running as I release the brake pedal. The 48V motor is designed to give you a slight push (1/2 wheel turn) as you lift off the brake pedal so the truck moves slightly as if the engine had never shut off. Very good emulation in my opinion. I was dead set against auto start/stop for this vehicle until I drove it. I'm still dead set against auto start/stop in vehicles that don't use a 48V system like eTorque.

The_Dude

Reaction score
You also have to be careful in icy conditions as when the etorque system starts back up it will buck the rear end of the vehicle. In those conditions best to turn it off.

TDJ

Reaction score
Thanks all for the user experiences. I think I’m starting to get used to it and yes it’s probably because the GT has the cold end exhaust so it’s louder than a truck with stock exhaust. I’ll take it to see if I can compare it to another one but I’m sure it’s fine.

TDJ

Reaction score
What are you considering harsh? With mine, if I don't have my foot firmly on the break it will sort of lurch me forward a little. Have to keep some distance when stopped behind another vehicle at the light. I tend to hold my foot firm down though to ensure it does auto stop/start.

Also, I have a borla s type exhaust so my restarts are loud due to the exhaust. I like it personally, but at times I don't want unwanted attention so i'll turn off start/stop to quiet down the restart noise.

The etorque is meant to provide extra torque for a few tire rotations, so that's why it feels like a lurch. Just enough to keep you on your toes so you don't rear end the car in front ha.
Ha. Thanks yeah I think it’s likely due to the cold end exhaust, it is certainly noticeable but I’m starting to like the “growl” before I accelerate.

TDJ

Reaction score
2022 Rebel G/T here (US) and I have experienced the same: it gets very quiet when it auto stops and it's very loud (and tends to kick a little bit) when auto starting back up. I've gotten in the habit of turning the Start/Stop system off as soon as I start up the engine.
Yes, sounds like the same thing I’m experiencing. You are right sometimes I just turn it off as it’s not always ideal. Probably just the increased noise from the cold end exhaust that makes it seem “harsh” to me.

Users who are viewing this thread