5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Halogen Headlight pigtails & extensions

rwo978

Reaction score
Does anyone know the part numbers for the plugs, and/or if assembled pigtails are available?
I've found this end online, but is the other end in pigtail form available? Does anyone have part numbers? I can assemble them together to form an extension. Alternately, is there an extension available? As that is what I am after in the end.
These would aid in a headlight project I have where I need to tap into the factory harness, but would like to avoid this for 2 reasons... 1) hacking the wiring, 2) limited work space to make good connections, as you can't pull out the harness far enough to work on.

Thanks!!

1658450579841.png

rwo978

Reaction score
Here is the other side on the back of the light. It appears there is a wiring harness inside the headlight housing. Does that harness have a part number? This is the half I can't find.

Thanks!!

1658453200173.png

rwo978

Reaction score
Ended up finding the parts on eBay for the pigtail and Digi-Key for the other end and pins. Got them built and they work perfectly for what I needed them for. I’ll attach a parts list later.

Attachments

• B3A238B0-36FB-40F4-AA31-D43660A216FA.jpeg
    B3A238B0-36FB-40F4-AA31-D43660A216FA.jpeg
    179.5 KB · Views: 28
  • B0DD4820-377F-450A-909A-661886F65176.jpeg
    B0DD4820-377F-450A-909A-661886F65176.jpeg
    203.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 97ECF71C-6016-490D-BDDC-0F19CC408CC6.jpeg
    97ECF71C-6016-490D-BDDC-0F19CC408CC6.jpeg
    307.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 61020790-88BC-4D77-9153-35ACFD9C0BEC.jpeg
    61020790-88BC-4D77-9153-35ACFD9C0BEC.jpeg
    272.8 KB · Views: 27

ridnhard19

Reaction score
@Jimmy07 - I think you've helped with some of these harnesses

You have battled through what I was just finding out, and afraid of, this weekend.

I've read a lot of posts and there seem to be two things you hear... 1) bolt it up and adjust the LED settings in AlfaOBD - this is what I was hoping to do but I had a tough time finding pictures of the connectors and such and it wasn't until I went to install the headlights that I found the connectors are actually different. 2) as a back up plan I did have a set of the retroshop harness adapters - so it is working - but I would prefer to have a direct harness wire up solution.

Now that I've gotten into this I did take pictures of all of the harnesses from the vehicle harness and the lights that are going in (OEM). I want to get this working without the extra wiring with the retroshop adapters.

Is there a place to just purchase the adapter like you made? I feel like its been discussed in other posts but I've not been able to find anything overly useful. I have my AlfaOBD up and running. I just need to either make or purchase a harness/adapter.

Vehicle is a 2022 Ram 1500 bighorn with the std halogen lights. Ecodiesel.

Attachments

• IMG_0083.jpeg
    IMG_0083.jpeg
    146.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0084.jpeg
    IMG_0084.jpeg
    133.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0085.jpeg
    IMG_0085.jpeg
    155 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0086.jpeg
    IMG_0086.jpeg
    140.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0087.jpeg
    IMG_0087.jpeg
    136.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

ridnhard19

Reaction score
So I'm slowly finding more information I need to potentially build my own harness... Advice, recommendations or confirmations are always appreciated.

I found a part number for the specific connectors: https://www.mouser.com/c/connectors/automotive-connectors/?m=Molex&series=33472
I've also found a schematic/pinout of the 16 pin OEM connector which I believe will match my new OEM LED Reflector light housings: OEM Headlight Wiring Diagram

I'd have to dig around and see if I have a crimping tool I can use with those pins for the Molex connectors.

I am still missing a pin out of the OEM 6x2/12 pin connector on the vehicle harness. Once I have this I should be able to build an adapter for this unless there is someone with all of these parts already that can help me out. I believe after this I can program things to work hopefully.

Either way I'll document the journey incase others bump into the same thing again.

Shives

Reaction score
so, you can’t just install them and program. That’s correct. Two ways to do this.

Places like Infotainment sell an adapter harness. This won’t let you adjust from radio.

Or build one, buy from Jimmy. You’ll need special tools.

Two wires go to the BCM, you’ll need to take out the top left and top right and pin in the correct spot. They are Aptiv connections (Delphi) mouser has the proper terminals. You can’t do it without.

Then you’ll have to make the 12 pin to 16 pin. Many places sell the parts. Mouser as well. I got my female ends from Drag.

Beyond figuring out how to wire it all, you’ll then have to program it.

It’s not the most easy task. Jimmy sells a OEM style harness as well. If you don’t posses the proper crimpers, or really good with reading schematics, electronics and pinning items.. I would super suggest his harness.

ridnhard19

Reaction score
so, you can’t just install them and program. That’s correct. Two ways to do this.

Places like Infotainment sell an adapter harness. This won’t let you adjust from radio.

Or build one, buy from Jimmy. You’ll need special tools.

Two wires go to the BCM, you’ll need to take out the top left and top right and pin in the correct spot. They are Aptiv connections (Delphi) mouser has the proper terminals. You can’t do it without.

Then you’ll have to make the 12 pin to 16 pin. Many places sell the parts. Mouser as well. I got my female ends from Drag.

Beyond figuring out how to wire it all, you’ll then have to program it.

It’s not the most easy task. Jimmy sells a OEM style harness as well. If you don’t posses the proper crimpers, or really good with reading schematics, electronics and pinning items.. I would super suggest his harness.
I thought you only had to run wires back to the BCM if they were projectors. I'm not doing the limited/LED projectors, just the LED reflectors. Is this correct?

I'm also totally happy to buy one from Jimmy. I've not heard anything back yet. Not sure the best way to make that happen.

I'm good on the programming I've got all that worked out from other info I've read.

Thank you for the info, your lights look great! they are a nice upgrade, a night and day over the halogens. I don't know why they still sell vehicles with them.

Shives

Reaction score
Wires need to go back to BCM for the signature lights (not present in halogens). Like me, I took it a step further and ran back the Signature lights, and the false sense due to some having issues and me testing.

The limited projectors would need more then just wires to BCM, those would need another module to connect to, that would allow the active lights to work.

If you don’t care about OEM feature use, and could care less about how you control the signature lights… you can opt for the infotainment harness which is available right away. Me, and for the money I would try and get ahold of Jimmy. He offers them to the public. Or you can try your best with reading the schematic an wire one yourself.

You’ll find the wire diagrams combine low level and top level lighting… and a redundant run or wires to the 16 pins that are not really needed. I almost opted to just re-pin the 12 to 16….. but for some stupid reason I’m thinking I might slap my halogens back… but would only be to upgrade the internal LED light boards.

In essence you have 2 parking light wires one is signature. Turn signal. Low beam, high beam and ground that you really need. Again, I added in false sense and even ran a LIN bus line just incase I needed it.

Again, unless your really good at back tracing… and making harness.. I would opt for Jimmy07 or Infotainment.

I can point you in directions, but I don’t want to steel his area.

ridnhard19

Reaction score
Awesome, this is very helpful.... Thank you for the info.

@Jimmy07 - sounds like your harness for this project is the best bet. How do I puchase one from you for the LED Refector from Haologens upgrade?

Shives

Reaction score
Awesome, this is very helpful.... Thank you for the info.

@Jimmy07 - sounds like your harness for this project is the best bet. How do I puchase one from you for the LED Refector from Haologens upgrade?
No problem! Hope you are able to get them installed. They are nice!!

Users who are viewing this thread