5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Had a scary experience

syddog 2000

Reaction score
While driving to my daughters school for carline I was on a two lane road traveling at 45-50 mph. The car ahead braked abruptly I naturally followed and was some 5 feet from him when we stopped, the traffic picked up to speed quickly and I started accelarate when bam the warning on the collision sounded and the brakes locked! I was so lucky that the guy behind me was paying attention and stopped within a second ofr two I was able to continue on my way. I proceeded to shut off the granny and I think I'm done with them. Anyone else having trouble ?? I have them set on medium. Thanks

RBRK

Reaction score
It's not just Ram trucks, its other manufacturers too. I advise on turning the automatic braking off, just leave the alert on. I've seen it on Hondas too. self driving, self braking cars are not what I want to see. It relies on radar to stop you, if it picks up something on the radar, it can cause the above situation. Mine has been pretty good, I have got some alerts when people are slow turning right and I am still going pretty fast behind them.

syddog 2000

Reaction score
I'm sure it is not a problem with the vehicle, I like the idea of the beep without the intravention. Thanks for the tip.
It's not just Ram trucks, its other manufacturers too. I advise on turning the automatic braking off, just leave the alert on. I've seen it on Hondas too. self driving, self braking cars are not what I want to see. It relies on radar to stop you, if it picks up something on the radar, it can cause the above situation. Mine has been pretty good, I have got some alerts when people are slow turning right and I am still going pretty fast behind them.

alow

Reaction score
I've been disabling mine front and rear unless I'm getting into a tricky spot. Far easier to just flip it on case by case as my truck has brake checked me twice in reverse.

John813

Reaction score
FCA has a sensitive forward collision system. Which is why I didn't care to have a truck with it.

HAd similar stuff happen in the SRT/Trackhawk Jeeps.
Good way to **** your pants.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
While driving to my daughters school for carline I was on a two lane road traveling at 45-50 mph. The car ahead braked abruptly I naturally followed and was some 5 feet from him when we stopped, the traffic picked up to speed quickly and I started accelarate when bam the warning on the collision sounded and the brakes locked! I was so lucky that the guy behind me was paying attention and stopped within a second ofr two I was able to continue on my way. I proceeded to shut off the granny and I think I'm done with them. Anyone else having trouble ?? I have them set on medium. Thanks

Nit that this is apples to apples but my fully equipped Accord has the same features and I shut that off right after it detected impacted and slammed in the brakes. The problem was I was the only one on that road but if I had someone following, I would have been toast.

That’s why for this Ram I opted to actually keep the driving experience in the hands of the actual driver and did not get those features.

OgRedd

Reaction score
My driveway is modestly steep. Every time I backed up to the street at that angle, the radar thinks the road is an obstacle and I get brake checked. I didn't disable the feature, just learned to back up a bit slower. The alert sounds, but the brakes don't lock up.

sgk

Reaction score
Had this lock up on me once so far while backing up to get out of my parking spot. It's annoying when you know that you're actually paying attention but still like the feature. I've heard more stories of saving or potentially saving lives and the vehicle itself rather than it was accidentally activated and I injured my self from getting hit from behind.
It nice to be a go0d and always observant driver but not gonna lie all these safety features have ruined me, I rely on them more and more.

syddog 2000

Reaction score
Had this lock up on me once so far while backing up to get out of my parking spot. It's annoying when you know that you're actually paying attention but still like the feature. I've heard more stories of saving or potentially saving lives and the vehicle itself rather than it was accidentally activated and I injured my self from getting hit from behind.
It nice to be a go0d and always observant driver but not gonna lie all these safety features have ruined me, I rely on them more and more.
Very true. Look at the Tesla crashes.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
My driveway is modestly steep. Every time I backed up to the street at that angle, the radar thinks the road is an obstacle and I get brake checked. I didn't disable the feature, just learned to back up a bit slower. The alert sounds, but the brakes don't lock up.
^^^ Same here ^^^
I adapted and back up a tad slower and it's good now.

I also have my forward warning set to "far", just in case. And I would not disable either. They could save your life (well the front could, the rear one could save your a lot of $$$) :)

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
When I pick up my in-laws in Entry/Exit mode (air suspension) and back down their driveway, I experience the same thing. Raising the truck to Normal and/or backing out more slowly prevents the issue.

OgRedd

Reaction score
When I pick up my in-laws in Entry/Exit mode (air suspension) and back down their driveway, I experience the same thing. Raising the truck to Normal and/or backing out more slowly prevents the issue.
Right. Even raising my height from Entry/Exit to Aero/Norm before backing, I still experienced the brake check until I lowered my speed. My driveway angle is mildly extreme than most.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Right. Even raising my height from Entry/Exit to Aero/Norm before backing, I still experienced the brake check until I lowered my speed. My driveway angle is mildly extreme than most.

Yeah.. same here but in std ride height when I get real close to the rear of the garage, since it's a tight fit and I have to squeeze it in to within 2" inches in the rear (see pic) although if take it in real slow the last foot or so, it doesn't brake.

Some of you with longer garages are very lucky ;)

IMG_4916.jpeg IMG_0003.jpeg

Last edited:

Jello0123

Reaction score
Yeah.. same here but in std ride height when I get real close to the rear of the garage, since it's a tight fit and I have to squeeze it in to within 2" inches in the rear (see pic) although if take it in real slow the last foot or so, it doesn't brake.

View attachment 5032
Love that garage setup!

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

View attachment 5032
I added 7' to my garage length (now 25'+). Width is my issue...property line didn't allow for any expansion to the side, so it's all we can do to park two vehicles side-by-side.

Rob M-O

Reaction score
I know this is a six month old conversation, but I just had the same thing happen to me. At a stop light, car in front of me goes on the green and I start to follow and bam! My truck decides to stop, hard. So glad I wasn’t rear ended. Now I need to figure out how to adjust or turn off the automatic braking feature.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We had a huge storm North of Houston on Sunday and driving through it the FCW went off six times just sensing wind and rain. It never auto braked but I found it amusing that it picked up that "object" in front of me. Granted trees were coming down and crazy Houston drivers were actually pulling over.

HKP7PSP

Reaction score
My Jeep did this to me once as well, so I immediately disabled the auto-braking feature.

Likewise, I had a VW Tiguan as a rental in Germany a few years back. I was approaching this windy mountain road with a wall lining the rock face, and the sensors thought I was running towards the wall and did the same thing - guy behind me thankfully was on point and didn't rear end me. That actually stalled the car due to how much it slowed down, and I was in 4th gear.

machz

Reaction score
My 18 Audi s5 has done it several times. More when backing up but I have been traveling down the road and it locks them up and the car has 6 piston Bremo's so it's a hash stop. I have only had it happen in reverse so far in the Ram.

Users who are viewing this thread