5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GPS Over Air Play

Vdubbry

Reaction score
Hello all,

The past couple weeks I have been having issues with using GPS through my Uconnect system and I'm not sure if it is an Apple/iPhone problem or with the Uconnect and airplay. I've rebooted my phone and updated software etc, but what happens is the phone gets way off route, shows me driving through the forest etc lol, eventually corrects but sometimes it takes awhile. Any suggestions or ideas?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all,

The past couple weeks I have been having issues with using GPS through my Uconnect system and I'm not sure if it is an Apple/iPhone problem or with the Uconnect and airplay. I've rebooted my phone and updated software etc, but what happens is the phone gets way off route, shows me driving through the forest etc lol, eventually corrects but sometimes it takes awhile. Any suggestions or ideas?
What map guidance app are you using on your phone? I've had issues with Waze drifitng and showing me off course. But it sounds like a GPS issue with your phone, not the truck

CLECSoft

Reaction score
Hello all,

If you are using Airplay the screen is simply a mirror of data (presented in different form) from your phone.
Your truck should generally have a better GPS fix due to its external antenna on the roof.
Pay attention to the location of your phone. Assuming 22 or later it is wireless and can be anywhere in the vehicle. Does it have a clear view towards the South?
(while the satellites are equally distributed the ones towards the far northern latitudes may be more susceptible to electromagnetic variances).
If you want to test this, place in footwell and signals are partially blocked by dash supporting body panels, place on dash and it will have better reception in direction of travel, have a panoramic roof and center console should give best reception.

tadpole24

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have found if i start Waze and establish GPS before I start the truck I don't lose my GPS signal. Give that a try.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Doesn’t CarPlay use the trucks gps(instead of the phone’s) once you plug in the cable?

Vdubbry

Reaction score
I have been messing with this for a couple months now. I have tried multiple iphones and an Android phone and still the same issues. I have read that Airplay uses the trucks GPS instead of the phone. If I disconnect the phone from airplay and just leave it on the dash for GPS it works flawless everytime. I have tried multiple apps and still the same result.

The strange thing is, when I connect to Airplay, Waze shows my speed 5 mph off from what my speedometer shows. When I disconnect from Airplay Waze shows the correct speed. This is driving me nuts.

Vdubbry

Reaction score
I have found if i start Waze and establish GPS before I start the truck I don't lose my GPS signal. Give that a try.
Thank you, I'll give that a try. Do you start Waze and then start the truck and then once the truck is started the phone connects up to Airplay?

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No issues here with Google maps over CarPlay. GPS is always good even on long 16+ hour drives.

ya3coub

Reaction score
Make sure you don't have magnets attached to the back of your phone, large magnets in the center specially messes up with the GPS signal always.

My car keeps doing it from time to time, it's been 4 years now & I'm just fine fine, it will fix it self after couple of hours, I tok my truck to the dealer several times, sometimes the the redio others it's car play, it will only happens once every couple of months.

but if you are facing it daily then, it will be worth to take your truck to the dealer.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Make sure you don't have magnets attached to the back of your phone, large magnets in the center specially messes up with the GPS signal always.

My car keeps doing it from time to time, it's been 4 years now & I'm just fine fine, it will fix it self after couple of hours, I tok my truck to the dealer several times, sometimes the the redio others it's car play, it will only happens once every couple of months.

but if you are facing it daily then, it will be worth to take your truck to the dealer.
I wouldn’t think MagSafe would screw up the GPS.

ya3coub

Reaction score
I wouldn’t think MagSafe would screw up the GPS.
Not Mag safe, there are several cheap powerfull magnets to hang your phone on a dash sticker strip or a ball.

these, as well as covers with powerfull magnets, Mag safe or magsafe "non certefied apple" will be just fine

Users who are viewing this thread