5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Got a quote for a muffler

Kicker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I went to a local "custom Exhaust" shop to find out what they would want for changing out my muffler. I don't want loud, raspy sound, just a louder rumble that says it's a HEMI.
Puts it up on the lift and looks around, comes out with a Thrush welded muffler, 3" in and 3" out, off center.
Talked to the writer and come up with a quote of close to $475.
So this would be welded in, hanger welded to the pipe added, etc. Resonators staying.
He says a couple of hours of work.
I told him I would call. First off the muffler is is under $60. all day long, he wants $150. and a couple of hours for a muffler shop that does custom work, does that include lunch and a nap? Yeah, $260 for labor.
And then there is the short pieces of pipe that have to be added to fill the void. The muffler he has in stock so I think he is just throwing it out there because it will fit.

I don't know, I feel like I am going to have to bend over and I don't like it.
Perhaps I should offer him $400. cash, no C.C. and see if he bites?

What say the RAM brain trust?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I bought my flowfx for like $50. Had a shop put in on for $150. I kept everything else, even the resonators. I think anything over $300 is too much. I’d try a different shop.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was quoted $250 total for a carven at a shop in Los angeles.
Ended up doing it myself with a mbrp direct bolt on for $275
Do you have other shops you can check

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I only went to a custom muffler shop once when I had a 06 Mustang.
They basicly refused to work on it.

I think a lot of these custom muffler shops either want people doing very expensive stuff, or want to charge out the a$$ for the work.
It doesn't take a couple of hours to cut and weld a muffler in but they don't want to do anything cheap as it's likely not worth it for them.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You won't like the thrush welded anyways had one in my 05 Magnum Hemi. Horrible drone

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That's too pricey for labor. My Flowmaster Outlaw was $100, with the labor, materials and tax it was about $270 out the door. This is the total price including the $100 for the muffler itself.

Done by a well known shop in my area. This is my favorite mod, best bang for the buck on my truck, makes driving my RAM so pleasurable and gives it a sense of occasion that the stock muffler couldn't come close to. But nice and quiet on the highway, muscle car thunder when you want it.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a Coffin muffler for my step sons truck. Had the local exhaust shop I use install it, plus bend up pipes for duals out the back, under bumper, and new oval tips. Was $400 for everything.

RageWhite

Reaction score
I bought SLPs and took them to the best-reviewed muffler shop in my area. I was expecting to pay around $200, but they wouldn't budge off $250. I was a little surprised, but they did a phenomenal job and I love the sound!

Kicker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So now I am leaning towards the Borla Touring or S-Type cat-back. I do want mellow, not wild loud but but more like the GT sound or there a bouts.
I have too many homes around me and I do leave around 5:30 in the morning so I don't want to be "that guy" if you know what I mean.
The sound clips sound good on some videos and not so good on others.
I live in the northeast so I do want the 304 ss.
One guy put the S-Type at a 3 out of 5 on sound and the Touring at a 2.
I like the S-Type but not sure yet.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
So now I am leaning towards the Borla Touring or S-Type cat-back. I do want mellow, not wild loud but but more like the GT sound or there a bouts.
I have too many homes around me and I do leave around 5:30 in the morning so I don't want to be "that guy" if you know what I mean.
The sound clips sound good on some videos and not so good on others.
I live in the northeast so I do want the 304 ss.
One guy put the S-Type at a 3 out of 5 on sound and the Touring at a 2.
I like the S-Type but not sure yet.
S-type is closest to GT if you like that one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online