5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting the travel trailer straight with air suspension

Gazza

Reaction score
Hi - I have a 2020 1500 limited with air suspension. I tow a 6500 lb travel trailer loaded. I always tow in Aero mode, Before starting I put the truck suspension on tow haul mode off, In setting up the distribution hitch I first level the travel trailer, I align the height of the trailer hitch with the ball on the truck hitch, do the height measurement on the front and back wheel arches on the truck, connect the TT, add The distribution bars and adjust until my steering wheel height measurements return to original, there is always a drop in the rear of the truck of 1’ to 1.5 inches. As soon as I change the suspension to tow haul mode on the truck levels and I am 0.5 inches lower at the back of the TT than the front……….what am I doing wrong - driving me crazy I like the TT level. Any and all suggestions welcome

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
my only thought is to worry first about proper weight distribution...NOT the appearance of 'level'. Search the many threads in the towing section...tons of info here, and get your rig to a CAT scale to figure out the actual distribution of weight across the three axles. That is far more important to safety and comfort than being perfectly level.

RBRK

Reaction score
You need to but the suspension in jack mode before hooking it up.I’ve never heard that tow haul mode stops the suspension from adjustment, but I may be wrong. I set my trailer up with jack mode set the height etc and it is perfectly level after switching jack mode off

Gazza

Reaction score
You need to but the suspension in jack mode before hooking it up.I’ve never heard that tow haul mode stops the suspension from adjustment, but I may be wrong. I set my trailer up with jack mode set the height etc and it is perfectly level after switching jack mode off
Sorry incorrect terminology I meant Jack mode 😀

Gazza

Reaction score
my only thought is to worry first about proper weight distribution...NOT the appearance of 'level'. Search the many threads in the towing section...tons of info here, and get your rig to a CAT scale to figure out the actual distribution of weight across the three axles. That is far more important to safety and comfort than being perfectly level.
Thanks - been to the CAT scales. Few times and axle weights are all within specs

stronbl

Reaction score
Not sure if this idea will work for your rig or not and you may not wish to even try it, but hook up without using the WDH. I tow a 28ft enclosed Featherlite car hauler and when loaded I'm at 6,800lbs. At first I used the WDH with my 2020 Limited and was able to get reasonably level but did not like the feel of the trailer when towing. Had too much movement, almost jerky and maybe a very little bit of sway. So next trip I didn't use the WDH and just let the air suspension dynamically handle the load. Not only was I constantly level with the setup but the towing was so much more smooth than before - no jerking and no sway (weather conditions were essentially the same - same route - all on the interstate). Since I'm at about 70% of my towing limits maybe that is why it works so well. If I had to go up in trailer weight, I would probably try the WDH again since in theory it should be better (safer).

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can have the TT level with the truck’rear 1/2“ lower than the trucks front. Adjust the hitch drop, and done. But a 1/2” is immaterial...

If your truck is only 1/2” lower rear to front, youre golden. At the scales, you should confirm the distribution of weight, by doing before hookup, after hookup w/o WDH and after w/WDH, all with air susp In aero or normal. Weights at the axles are the important measurements...

Stronbl, the air susp just levels the truck, it doesn’t distribute weight. A trip to the scales to properly set your WDH is your best bet - you’ll be much safer that way.

Users who are viewing this thread