5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gasoline

me1

Reaction score
2019 crew cab 1500 4x4 5.7 hemi
Does anyone actually run the manufacturer Reccomended mid grade gasoline which around my area is 89 octane or do most just go with 87 octane.
Will it void my warranty if I don’t use mid grade

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone actually run the manufacturer Reccomended mid grade gasoline which around my area is 89 octane or do most just go with 87 octane.
Using 87 won’t void your warranty, the general consensus on here is most people run 87 and it is just fine for 90% of the driving but it is recommended to use 89 if you’re towing. The manual does say if you run 87 it might pull timing to prevent knocking ( this happened to me so I switched to 89 ) and thus you will lose some power / efficiency but should have no major problems at all on 87

Reverse

Reaction score
Manual states you can run 87, so that should answer your question. Don't really understand how the opinion of a bunch of yoyo's on the intertubes ;-) could have more authority than the manufacturers manual.

Anyway, I run 87 all the time on both our trucks. One has lasted 185000 miles so far, the other 68,000 IIRC. Like the previous poster said, there will be knock-like noise when under heavy load sometimes, but according to the manual that's fine ....

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Manual states you can run 87, so that should answer your question. Don't really understand how the opinion of a bunch of yoyo's on the intertubes ;-) could have more authority than the manufacturers manual.

Anyway, I run 87 all the time on both our trucks. One has lasted 185000 miles so far, the other 68,000 IIRC. Like the previous poster said, there will be knock-like noise when under heavy load sometimes, but according to the manual that's fine ....
Manual states you can experience some knock, not that knock is fine. By the time detonation is bad enough to be audible, it's causing damage.

To answer OPs question. I only ran 87 on my very first tank because that's all that was available when I needed to fill up. After that, nothing but 89 until I installed my Pulsar tuner. Now I only run 91 non-ethanol

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I ran 87 in my previous 5th gen for the 18 months I owned it, and have been running 87 in my current truck for the past couple months. I never heard any knocking on either truck. I'm not saying it doesn't happen. Just that if it is, it's not loud enough for me to have heard. I should mention that I only use top tier gasoline.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
In order: Yes. No.

10¢/gallon difference when the 87 octane is already $4.59/gallon doesn't make much difference to the wallet.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
In order: Yes. No.

10¢/gallon difference when the 87 octane is already $4.59/gallon doesn't make much difference to the wallet.
It's funny you say that. When I bought my Limited last May, 89 octane was only 10 cents/gallon more than 87 where I live. So I used 89 for the first couple months I owned this truck. Now it's anywhere from 15 to 25 cents/gallon more, and will usually opt for the 87 with that price difference. At $3.79/gallon, gas prices here aren't as high as they apparently are where you live. Saving 7 bucks on a one time fill isn't a big deal, but it adds up over time.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Or just run e88 that’s a happy middle ground and much cheaper. And runs just as good with no real hit in mpg.

Per the manual you can run up to 15% ethanol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread